A Closer End

Zephyrus

Tyrants and Slaves
Jan 18, 2006
Maine or Iowa
A friend of mine just discovered this on one of those download blogs. It looks like a new release by the band called A Closer End. Based on the tracklisting it appears to be a compilation of covers and what not, and perhaps some new songs. It includes all of Enter Suicidal Angels and the bonus tracks from The Gallery deluxe edition.

I didn't download it on principle, but here's the link so you believe me.

Scroll down about half way or just run a page search for Dark Tranquillity.

acloserendpz5.jpg

01. A Closer End
02. Derivation TNB
03. The Endless Feed
04. Undo Control
05. Razorfever
06. Shadowlit Facade
07. Archetype
08. Bringer Of Torture
09. Sacred Reich
10. 22 Acacia Avenue
11. Lady In Black
12. My Friend Of Misery
13. I, Deception
14. Winter Triangle

Total Playing Time 56:16

Metal-Archives has nothing on this.

I heard about this yesterday from another friend and another download site. I suppose if something like this was official we would have heard about it by now.. Not to mention that the cover doesn't look like something the band would release...

NO idea what this is. The songs are semi-rare tunes but nothing exclusive (the "Lost to apathy" EP, various bonus songs/covers), so it appears that someone just made a compilation and put it online. Not the first time.

What was a bit puzzling at first, though, is that the cover and inlay included in the .rar file definitely look scanned, and the Century media logo is on there. However, the catalog number doesn't really make sense, so the most logical conclusion is that someone is trying to make it look official.

Most web hits point towards Russia, so there you go...

But let us know if someone finds an actual physical copy of this - always interesting.

Received this yesterday ... bye bye link ...
from a Russian Angel, *I never download anything*
Asked Her if a CD(silver factory pressed disc) was available
Her reply was not that She knows of -

same tracklist as Zephyrus posted but with more information ...
01. A Closer End [Japanese bonus track](Fiction - 2007)
02. Derivation TNB [Japanese version bonus tracks](Character - 2005)
03. The Endless Feed [Japanese version bonus tracks](Character - 2005)
04. Undo Control [Korean Dope music digipack released in 2004 includes “Undo Control (Live)” as a bonus track. It was recorded in Poland in 2002](Projector - 1999)
05. Razorfever [Reissued in 2004 by Osmose in Europe and in 2005 by Century Media in the US. Bonus tracks on the reissue(Enter Suicidal Angels EP)](The Mind’s I - 1997)
06. Shadowlit Facade [Reissued in 2004 by Osmose in Europe and in 2005 by Century Media in the US. Bonus tracks on the reissue(Enter Suicidal Angels EP)](The Mind’s I - 1997)
07. Archetype [Reissued in 2004 by Osmose in Europe and in 2005 by Century Media in the US. Bonus tracks on the reissue(Enter Suicidal Angels EP)](The Mind’s I - 1997)
08. Bringer Of Torture [Limited Edition in 10” box contains bonus cover songs(The Osmose ‘deluxe edition’ re-issue bonus cover songs - 2005)](The Galley - 1995)
09. Sacred Reich [Bonus track for Korea(Limited Edition in 10” box contains bonus cover songs)(The Osmose ‘deluxe edition’ re-issue bonus cover songs - 2005)](The Galley - 1995)
10. 22 Acacia Avenue [The Osmose ‘deluxe edition’ re-issue bonus cover songs - 2005](The Galley - 1995)
11. Lady In Black [The Osmose ‘deluxe edition’ re-issue bonus cover songs - 2005](The Galley - 1995)
12. My Friend Of Misery [Bonus track for Japan(The Osmose ‘deluxe edition’ re-issue bonus cover songs - 2005)](The Galley - 1995)
13. I, Deception [The limited edition digipack (shown below) bonus track](Damage Done - 2002)
14. Winter Triangle [Australian bonus track](Fiction - 2007)

edit ... Removed link as it was possible to download the tunes using it -

Removed the link from the first post: the release mentioned is, in fact, there, and as far as I know all the material contained is copyrighted.

It's not the first time I see something like this, but it's the first time when it comes to DT. I'm perplexed by this (new?) habit of the so-called "scene" to release compilations of semi-rare material that are never going to come out in physical form: it's not really difficult to hunt down the tracks one by one (indeed, I'm sure all of them are present in the equally illegal downloads of all respective special editions of the albums). Is everyone just really lazy like that?

Most web hits point towards Russia, so there you go..

Haha :) You see now how much we love you here, if our crowd didn't proved you, here we go - another proof :loco:

Btw, the front artwork is great imho. It is interesting to see how does the booklet, CD and back artwork look like

Out of curiosity - did anyone come across a physical copy of this?

I think that there exists a "real" CD version of this. There are moiré patterns in the artwork, indicating that they scanned a real printed image (as opposed to one being made on a regular inkjet printer), and the perforations along the spine look machine made and aren't 100% aligned with the artwork either. Hard to imagine that someone would go through all that hassle to make it look authentic...Or maybe I'm just out of touch with how these things work nowadays.

Either way, it's pretty weird to have something pretending to be a new album listed on all the torrent sites and download places...

Either way, it's pretty weird to have something pretending to be a new album listed on all the torrent sites and download places...
Why wait for a new album when they can make one for you? At least the music in this one is still yours. ;)

Did someone see a real copy of this and can confirm that it just doesn't exist in mp3 format?

I own one. Bought it at the store where I regularly buy all my music: the owner thought it absolutely legitimate, and I have to say it certainly looks legitimate, as in "Century Media licensed". I'm going to send you a picture of the back of the cd case in a minute, so you can check for yourself.

@ rahvin, how long have You had this disc?
When it first appeared on the forum, I asked several Russian sellers of questionable CDs
about it with no luck but in the last week it became available.
Just thought it would for sale in the former Soviet Block before it showed up in Your part of the world
but now I see the seller of 'a closer end' on the eBay is from Bulgaria,
globally speaking I guess that's not too far from You
I have a couple of copies coming my way from the Russian Federation -

@ rahvin, how long have You had this disc?

I bought it last friday at the store I mentioned: the owner probably had it since either thursday or tuesday, since those are the days he receives his merchandise. As for where he's got it, I don't know but I can easily ask him: I've never seen him with a bootleg release before, so I suspect the distributor he buys from has been hoodwinked as well - assuming CM didn't sanction this disc after all.

Niklas is looking into the matter anyway. Once we know more about it I'll be glad to provide ample - albeit slightly blurry ;) - documentation to those who are interested.

The art is a dead giveaway, that image with the portal and stairs leading to it is
a fairly known fantasy/sci-fi artist, they've added Stanne to it and ran it thru a
grain filter.
Unfortunately I can't remember who the artist is right now and I didn't find that
image in my collections, but I'm fairly sure I can find it.

http://www.darktranquillity.com/realindex.html

::

Bootleg alert - August 17, 2008

The compilation album "A closer end", that recently started appearing on the P2P networks as well as on Ebay and in certain record stores, is NOT an official Dark tranquillity album but a bootleg. It's very convincingly made, with a Century media logo, fake barcode and extensive booklet, but it's nevertheless a bootleg.

It's usually a better strategy to be silent about these things, but as a lot of people keep mailing us asking whether "A closer end" is a genuine album or not, and since the CD has started to appear on online discographies, presented as a legitimate release, we feel the need to set the record straight.

That's why I cant buy it from www.CMDistro.com