Opeth Lyrical Analysis

Doesn't ggggggu just add so much to this board? I think I've only seen maybe 1 out of 50 posts that was intelligent. I'm sure if he sees this he'll respond with that quote that says "The Opeth forum is limited to discussion of the band and their performances, blah blah blah." Add something to this forum or get out of here.

TheFourthHorseman said:
I really don't think that it's about dying,but that's fine cause people interpret songs differently...I guess I just have a lighter approach on that song.

The first set of lyrics where every line begins with "There is" (well except the "A sickness in me..." verse in between) is describing this person and I can relate to a lot of it...for example "There is a peace I'm searching,There is a freedom I'm depending on." After that it just sounds like a guy who has gone through something traumatic and feels drained and hopeless,helpless.
The last 4 lines are what give me the sense of the character not dying. "Pacing roads unknown,Searching for a new home" just sounds like he's leaving his past behind and trying to find a new meaning to his life,but there's still a reminder of his past inside him "Desert in my eye,Barren lands inside."

"Once I'm below there's no turning back

Plunging into the deepest void
Departed shell left drained behind

Pacing roads unknown
Searching for a new home
Desert in my eye
Barren lands inside"

I've always though the first line says something like once you're dead there's no turning back, 2nd saying he's travelling though void (space?) towards the afterworld/heaven/hell/whatever or something. The departed shell is his body which is left drained behind, as he say, on earth.

However, if this is "correct" then the 4th and 5th line must say he's now travelling inside the afterworld/heaven/hell/whatever. It's pretty empty up/under there so all he sees is desert, until he spots other people/places to live/whatever (barren lands).

The "There is" parts say our fellow feels sick and is waiting for death and peace.

Post_Scriptum said:
Did you guys notice that it's always about a guy and his wife/gf ? haha

but isnt life about that, i mean yeah women :Smug: .

also to say that there is not too much behind the lyrics, is pretty heavy for an artist, it is like you say that a painting only consists of paint.
dont forget the spirit.

i am pretty sure that mike always thinks about what he wants to express, and then he tries to find a few words that fit to the context and to the music,

the thing with the concept album D1 is good, because there is always a thin line trough every opeth record, they diont seem like just put together, at least they all cover a certain time in mikes life.

Ok why did you have to make more sense and ruin my happy ending Osse? :p

But how does he have an eye when his "departed shell" is "left behind"? Huh? HUH?

:p