twelve strings of darknes
Oct 15, 2005
on a violin sad
Porcupine Tree: Always the summers are slipping away
Find me a way for making it stay (2002)

Opeth: Summer is miles and miles away
And no one would ask me to stay (2003)

even the chord progression is similar

If the rumors of the Akerfeldt/Wilson/Portnoy thing is true, we wont have to worry about this "plagairism" for a while.:Spin:

Mikael, in Winston-Salem introduced IMTON with "the lyrics dont mean shit"
which I expected. Up until BWP, the lyrics made good sense.

This is my first post...so I will also say that Morningrise is my favorite. Wilson and Aviv's Blackfield is good stuff. And I'm waiting for Katatonia's new album.

...That was too much for one thread

Lol, yeh.. It's hardly plagiarism. Chances are he listened to that song and got the idea for the lines, but loads of songs have similarities to each other.

It's of course very probable that Mike is taking inspiration from Steven's lyrics. One line I have thought that he has maybe taken from Steven is "my next of kin" which is on PT's Radioactive Toy and Opeth's White Cluster.

Oh my god, as far as first posts go, that was seriously bad. You are seriously trying to suggest copied lyrics, created a year apart, when only THREE WORDS in FOURTEEN are the same. Plus you cannot even spell plagiarism. Or sense. Or understand BWP, which is not that obscure.

Damn n00bs....

Unless he didn't notice even after like 40 takes of that vocal line... :tickled:

I doubt it took that many...

Funny if we listen really carefully to that line and you can hear him in the background saying "OY! Thief! Thats my lyrics!" or something. But yeah, words are words in the end.

vampyrouss said:
Funny if we listen really carefully to that line and you can hear him in the background saying "OY! Thief! Thats my lyrics!" or something.

HAHA! Yeah, Steven going: "Hey, man, we already agreed on this! You can't steal my words! Damn problem child, Mike!" :Spin:

(Btw, sorry, I'm tired - nite!)

Thank you 353 and rissy.
I don't know what the heck I was thinking when I started this. Clearly it couldn't have led to a disscusion on the shift in Opeth's lyrics from stories:
Orchid - forest cult stuff
Morningrise - (this is personal interpretation) TNATSW - (grandfather's suicide) last three (love story)
to lyrics that just convey a feeling or state of mind (BWP) (Deliverance minus the song Deliverance)

the playjerisum thing was a joke, I'm not good with internet sarcasm.

the_3_toed_sloth - Benjamin Franklin once said. "I cannot immagine a man who would be so uncreative as to spell a word the same way every time."
and BWP "not that obscure"...please enlighten me and add something constructive to this thread. This is not an insult, this is a request.

Since I will not be posting again, here are some other ABSOLUTLY ABSURD things to ponder in my NOOBISH abscense.

1. Johan Defarfella (sp?) was a darn good bass player.

2. Benjamin Franklin wuz a jinyus.

3. BWP has no CLEAR story behind its lyrics. (a disease ravaging a town maybe?) (attacking a canabalistic alien homeworld?)

4. Sonata Arctica fans > Opeth fans in general

5. Gentle Giant > the elitism on this board.

I am glad to see some hate on this bord. Because that's what metal is all about, right?

It seems that the default perseption of this board is set on "dead serious".
I come from Tennessee where the default perception is "just kidding".
Could this be a cultural thing? Should I just shutup and go away?

Anyway, I find it amusing when people search for meanings in music when the artist himself said "the lyrics don't mean shit". It is fun to try though I must admit.

does this forum have spellcheck? English orthography is arbitrary.

Braighs said:
3. BWP has no CLEAR story behind its lyrics. (a disease ravaging a town maybe?) (attacking a canabalistic alien homeworld?)

That's because there isn't a story/concept. Mikael has said it isn't a concept, but there may be a similar sort of content between lyrics.. But no strict link or story.

Maybe Mikael is influenced by PTs lyrics, a little...

The similarities in music ar much more interesting.

Listen to "Shallow" from the Deadwing album, and then "Ghost Of Perdition"