Damnation a Masterpiece???

Well I think this album is very good, but not a masterpiece. The best songs on the album are without a doubt "Windowpane" and "Closure". These are also the only prog-like elements on the album IMO. The rest of the songs are decent, with the exception of "Death wispered a lullabye", which is not a bad song but it doesn´t fit the album. As for lyrics Mike said it was about personal stuff. Because of this I find the lyrics alright, def. not as good as SL, MAYH but not bad either. Overall I like the album for it´s melodic feel, but I wouldn´t call it a masterpiece

haha ryan..... ohhh... well i forget what i said... so ya... and i know that u showed me opeth well... my brother than me.... but i can still be a fan :(

Alcapoth said:
Am I crazy because I like a band better than a band that is said by the magazine's or media that is one of the best bands out there, etc? I don't let anyone influence my tastes in music....I like what I like.QUOTE]

people like what they can understand/comprehend.

sorry but i just registered and I don't really know what I'm doing so could someone tell me the basics.

oh man, why the thread revival? Hehe, funny, I remember this...

And yeah, I still think damnation is a bloody masterpiece. Even moreso after getting Lamentations and seeing the Opeth/Porcupine Tree tour.

Rock on Opeth!

Windowpane is every bit as good as anything Pink Floyd have released (and their BEST song IMO is "Hey You!" but they have a few others I REALLY like, like "Goodbye Blue Sky", etc.) Just listen to it (that guitar work, I mean c'mon!)...to say the song is nothing special is just ludicrous, because it is just too beautiful for words. Everyone has to hear an album like this, because I believe everyone who does will embrace it...it is music that is easily likable IMO.
Windowpane has nothing on "ECHOES." HEY YOU pink floyd's best song? Have you heard anything besides THE WALL? Floyd's "Meddle" totally rips Damnation to shreds. But comparing Damnation to pink floyd is stupid in my opinion. Nothing alike besides the Moogs. Maybe weakness but that reminds me more of Zeppelin (no quarter intro)

spigot said:
Haven't you guys heard the track 'Mordet i Grottan' by the Sorskogen project? That is one of the reasons I say that Damnation is not upto the mark.
Oh, and the 'tr00' opeth fans won't like damnation is as lame and overused as the tool sucks coz its fans are boors.

I think I've heard of the Sorskogen project. Who exactly is in it and can any of us even buy it?