Does a metal masterpiece actually exist?

opeth - still life

is the closest to a masterpiece IMO. the absolute only thing i don't like about it is when serenity painted death cuts off before finishing the full measure. yes, i know it's supposed to be like that, but to me it really interrupts the flow of the transition to white cluster.

If you want to be stingy about throwing the word "masterpiece" around, then maybe Opeth doesn't quite have one after all. My personal favorite is Morningrise, but many would consider it too sloppy and amateurish to be one. I think MAYH and Still Life (my 2nd and 3rd faves) are more traditional candidates for masterpiece albums because of the concept, underlying themes, and more maturity, both lyrically and musically. And if you're talking songs, I think When is definitely a masterpiece in itself, one that should be somwhat up there with some of the greats. Though, in the genre of metal, there are few bona-fide masterpieces. Opeth is one of the few metal bands who don't seem either extremely novel and almost laughable in their stupidity and constant need to be "dark" or "scary", or just plain commercial MTV garbage. Even Black Sabbath, arguably the first true metal band of all time (Zeppelin and Hendrix laid the foundation, but Sabbath took it all the way), had their moments of lame dredge... and don't even try to defend their horrible lyrics (with the possible exception of "War Pigs" or "Paranoid"). I'm a fan of great metal, but such a thing barely, barely exists. The best metal exists in my head, basically, where I can make up better lyrics and less dumb-sounding riffs and vocals.

Well since perfection cannot be obtainable because everyone's veiw is different (mostly), I'll put down albums that I think are masterpieces (or near perfection) to me.

Opeth - Blackwater Park, Still Life, Deliverance and Damnation. (Having said that 2 of my top 5 Opeth songs are on MYAH, lol)

Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk.
Acturus - The Sham Mirrors.
Astriaal - Renascent Misanthropy
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Ocean Machine - Biomech
Devin Townsend - Terria
ISIS - Oceanic
TOOL - Lateralus, Aenima
Meshuggah - Chaosphere
Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines, Annihilation Of The Wicked

Just because I can, my none metal masterpieces list.

The Beatles - Let It Be, Abbey Road
Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde, Highway 61 Revisited
Carl Orff - Carmina Burana
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Final Cut
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
Yes - Close To The Edge, Fragile
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

Ben_Bids_You_Farewell said:
Well since perfection cannot be obtainable because everyone's veiw is different (mostly), I'll put down albums that I think are masterpieces (or near perfection) to me.

Opeth - Blackwater Park, Still Life, Deliverance and Damnation. (Having said that 2 of my top 5 Opeth songs are on MYAH, lol)

Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk.
Acturus - The Sham Mirrors.
Astriaal - Renascent Misanthropy
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Ocean Machine - Biomech
Devin Townsend - Terria
ISIS - Oceanic
TOOL - Lateralus, Aenima
Meshuggah - Chaosphere
Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines, Annihilation Of The Wicked

Just because I can, my none metal masterpieces list.

The Beatles - Let It Be, Abbey Road
Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde, Highway 61 Revisited
Carl Orff - Carmina Burana
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Final Cut
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
Yes - Close To The Edge, Fragile
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

Why not MAYH, other than production quality?
I don't think Nile-Annihilation.. could be considered a masterpiece, although the production quality is great, it's not even their best work.

@=NoBigDeal=@ said:
Soundtrack to Your Escape
St Anger
Dance of Death
Never Say Die
Turbo
Once
Stratovarius
Risk
Ghost Reveries

:headbang: :kickass: :worship: :kickass: :headbang:
I was laughing until I saw GR. then i got confused. either your joke sucked hard or your concept of masterpiece does.

Kenneth R. said:
I was laughing until I saw GR. then i got confused. either your joke sucked hard or your concept of masterpiece does.

GR isn't actually that bad as the other albums I mentioned. It is my least favourite by Opeth, but clearly better than Soundtrack, Dance of Death, Risk or some other albums that are true and real crapworks.
Mostly I tried to be funny by adding GR to that list of shit.