Does a metal masterpiece actually exist?

soundave

Oct 13, 2005
MA
How about some heated debate? (I'm talking about ALBUMS here, not songs, btw.)

What is a masterpiece? Well, there was a definition posted in the "Anyone like Dimmu?" thread, but suffice it to say, it is, to me, not only an exemplary work of the highest order, but also flawless. There are also very few of them. For example, every band, imo, does NOT have a masterpiece. They may have their best album, and it might even be a great example of that particular kind of music. But that does not make it a masterpiece. Masterpieces stand the test of time. Masterpieces are rarities.

I don't think, for example, that Opeth has produced a true masterpiece. Close, but not quite. Thoughts?

in my opinion, BWP is a masterpiece. I honestly can't think of anything that I dislike about it. every song is great, there's a lot of variation and it definitely stands the test of time (ok, it's not that old but I have it since 2001). so what more is there you could want? to me it's flawless.
another example would be Neurosis - Times Of Grace, which is a really amazing album I think.
then there are other albums that I also rate as really genius, but that are kind of harder to listen to...old things like Psychotic Waltz's "A Social Grace" or Fates Warning's "Awaken The Guardian". those have some cheesy moments but to me there's no denying that they're totally unique records.

I think Pink Floyd 1972-1979 is a perfect example of masterpiece albums...

Still Life is Opeth's masterpiece in my opinion...

And Justice For All is a metal masterpiece IMO

Great Lyrics & Vocals

Great GuitarWork

Great Rhythm

I believe it's the greatest metal album of all-time

Deliverance is my favorite Opeth album, but Still Life IMO is their masterpiece.

With the local "melodeath dudes" I hang out with sometimes Hatebreeder by CoB and Swamplord by Kalmah are true masterpieces on which everything gets compared to. Thats kinda subgenre-based thingy though so I dont know if there's any real masterpiece all metalfolks could consider one. Maybe the Black Album by Metallica?

Well, once again you have the issue of popularity vs. excellence in music. How can you objectively decide which albums are potential masterpieces? The answer is that you can't - everyone has a different opinion.

If you try to take a poll, then you're judging by popularity. In that case, Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' would be considered a masterpiece (it's actually not bad) simply because it has been so popular.

As for metal, Opeth is a perfect example of a diamond in the rough - a band that is not insanely popular (yet) and that doesn't get a ton of radio airplay (until the upcoming soft-rock album) but still has a strong fanbase of people who seem intelligent and aren't just listening to the band because everyone else is.

So, my point is that you can get responses and listen to people's opinions on your question, but in the end it is impossible (or at least very difficult) to collectively decide which albums may or may not be masterpieces (not to mention the fact that a lot of people will have widely differing opinions).

For my votes, I would pick Still Life - I can't find a single thing that I don't like about that album. Other favorites are:

Metallica - ...And Justice For All
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast

and from progressive hard rock (not really metal)

Queensryche - Promised Land
Rush - Hemispheres

But these are only my favorites. Some will agree - others will laugh at my choices. I really don't know how you are going to get a coherent answer...

Good luck, though!

I have to confess I never got into Still Life. I mean it's a good album, but still one of weakest Opeths release. My favourites are MAYH, and double-Ds..

See what I mean? His response is the polar opposite of mine, but it is completely acceptable - since it is his opinion.

Ugh, what a waste of time...

I thoroughly understand that this is all people's opinions. There is no quantitative way to figure this out. And I don't really mean popularity. Although, that's hard to get around.

It's not a poll, either, where there will be a winner. Just an interesting topic. Again, I'm not talking about great albums, or a band's best. Masterpieces. Albums that are monumental, that change lives.

"...And Justice" is pretty close. I'm not a huge fan of the production (too much sucked out mids for my taste), but there really isn't a filler track, although "To Live is to Die" teeters on the edge.

I might consider BWP. Strangely, it's not my favorite, but it might be their masterpiece. Very cohesive, well-produced, each track can stand on its own but is stronger as part of the whole, awesome closer, lyrically strong...yeah, maybe.

I'm just less apt to call ANYTHING a masterpiece. When in doubt, it probably isn't is my philosophy.

soundave said:
"...And Justice" is pretty close. I'm not a huge fan of the production (too much sucked out mids for my taste), but there really isn't a filler track, although "To Live is to Die" teeters on the edge.
"Dyers Eve" falls over the edge, I think, even if it is enjoyable sometimes. If I were to go for a Metallica album that has changed lives, it would be Master of Puppets.

I like what soundave said about BWP working as songs or and album.

PoS - BE can't be a masterpiece because ANIMAE PARTUS is just not legitamate music.
I wouldn't compare it to music cd's. I would compare it to a musical.

I'm glad you added the "I" to that because my opinion certainly differs from yours on that album, which is immense, unlike anything that band or similar bands have ever done, and tackles a rather deep and abstract concept flawlessly. further, the research that went into its creation is astounding.

Yes, it is astounding.
But this thread is "metal" masterpiece.
Not "best researched and executed concept album" which Be would certainly be contending for

Braighs said:
Yes, it is astounding.
But this thread is "metal" masterpiece.
Not "best researched and executed concept album" which Be would certainly be contending for

True. I was trying to keep it fairly limited. Concept albums are cool, but i think that could be a different thread: best conceived and executed concept albums.

so it's not black metal. there are certainly metal tracks on the disc, and some albums mentioned here include tracks which certainly are not metal "patterns in the ivy?" so i see no reason to exclude BE. thats my opinion