Does a metal masterpiece actually exist?

Kenneth R. said:
but you said good doesn't exist. :lol:

Ooh, good point Ken! You're a close reader.

I don't mean this to be a nitpicker, but if you truly believe that there is no good or evil, you need to remove those meaningless words from your language. If you find it too difficult to do (maybe "difficult" doesn't exist either...it is, after all, a matter of opinion), then maybe you need to reexamine your logic and construct a new worldview. It's an interesting struggle, and one that I consider a lifelong journey.

How do you respond? I'm curious.

soundave said:
Okay. Here's what I mean: If everyone has to agree that something is good, bad, evil, etc., and such an agreement is impossible, it means that nothing is intrinsically what it is. This is a very Kantian way of seeing the world, that our goggles of perception create a different reality for you, me, and everyone else. I do not agree. I think that this philosophy is very dangerous and responsible for some of the world's worst atrocities (anyone who says philosophy is a waste of time has no idea how they are being manipulated). If you'd like to challenge your own beliefs (as opposed to reading more and more to further entrench your beliefs), check out Ayn Rand. If you'd like, I can recommend some of her better philosophical writings.

If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? I've had a number of students who shared your philosophy, and I wonder if it has to do with age at all.

Kenneth R. said:
but you said good doesn't exist. :lol:

as for Rand, I think objectivism can be a great thing, but as with any thought system, too much of it can be a bad thing.

Nice one Kenneth, you're the only who spotted that, including me.

Allow me to rephrase, "for the geater...equilibrium"...I think.

Clearly, it's a human thing. Even though I've tried to seperate my idea from such concrete concepts I'm still bound by these ideas of an actaul good and actaul evil.

It is difficult to escape it.

Powers said:
No, I just find the human condition interesting. It really kicked off when I started learning about Marxism, I looked in to Engles and who they were inspired by and names like Nietzsche and Smith started to appear.

From there I wanted to see who they inspired and they were inspired by in Nietzsche's case obviously you find Hitler and thus Darwin (owing no doubt to his belief in social Darwinism).

Let me make a couple remarks about the connections you have so far suggeste between Marx, Engels and Nietzsche and between Nietzsche, Hitler and Darwin. Marx (1818-1883) and Engels (1820-1895) could not have been influenced by Nietzche (1840-1900) at all. Essentially all of Marx and Engels' important works, including Das Capital were completed before even Nietzsche published his first book The Birth of Tragedy (1872). Marx did not really publish anything after 1871 in any case, and Engels went on to write a couple minor works, but it would be difficult to say that Nietzsche had any influence on these writings either.
There have been some people who suggest that Nietzsche is a social Darwinist. There was indeed such an intellectual trend in Europe at the end of 19th century, and some bits and pieces from Nietzsche have been taken by some interpreters as a sign of Nietzche's allegience to this trend. But the evidence is weak to my knowledge. Walter Kaufmann's Nietzsche: Philosopher, Psychologist, Antichrist is probably the best introduction to Nietzche interpretation. Kaufmann convincingly argues against social Darwinist interpretations of Nietzsche that Nazi intellectuals were pushing for in 1930's. Kaufmann's is among the more intelligible interpretations of Nietzsche. Some commentaries are even less intelligible than some of Nietzsche's writing.
Nietzsche appears to be the philosopher everyone reads in their high school years. Literary critics mention Nietzsche a lot, but philosophers tend not to be concerned with Nietzsche at all. This may in part be due to his epigrammatic style of writing. But to actually extract arguments out of his writings is a difficult and most likely unrewarding affair. Nietzsche has his place in moral philosophy, but it is a rather minor place.

I will soon send some recommendations for reading in moral philosophy.

Powers said:

Nice one Kenneth, you're the only who spotted that, including me.

Allow me to rephrase, "for the geater...equilibrium"...I think.

Clearly, it's a human thing. Even though I've tried to seperate my idea from such concrete ideas I'm still bound by these ideas of an actaul good and actaul evil.

It is difficult to escape it.

Thanks. Yeah, the age thing is about right. I know I felt that way. Having a family of my own changed the way I thought about a lot of things, especially having a baby.

Keep working at it. I know I'm still trying to figure shit out. I'll probably go to my grave that way.

Sorry, like I said people who they inspired and inspired them. I'm pretty sure if you were to try hard enough you could connect every philosipher to every other, it's just concepts isn't.

You guys know a fair bit more on the subject than me.

this should definitely go in another thread, but the philosophy forum here on UM is overrun with shitheads (sorry) who think themselves intellectual. ironically enough, it's the people who think themselves geniuses that often prove to average folk just what stupidity can be defined as...

anyway: I would ask Powers- why seek equillibrium? and does this equillibrium exist to you? if the idea of equillibrium exists, then some form of balance is being maintained. this leads to the question of what is being balanced? and are these entities in opposition? can we simplify all these questions and call these entities 'good' and bad', or is it more complex? I would argue that to some extent the good and bad are real, defineable entities, and to some extent, it is more complex than polar opposites. i also believe (and this is outside my assertion) that there is no necessary evil.

Powers said:
You guys know a fair bit more on the subject than me.

Just had more time, and I still know so little.

But... I do say that a masterpiece can exist!:Smug:

So keep 'em coming! :)

soundave said:
Thanks. Yeah, the age thing is about right. I know I felt that way. Having a family of my own changed the way I thought about a lot of things, especially having a baby.

Keep working at it. I know I'm still trying to figure shit out. I'll probably go to my grave that way.

Your right, I'm still just learning. although I think it's good that I've started to question such things. A lot people my age don't...although they are the kind of people who don't vote.

I kind of like the idea that actaully "working it all out" will lead to the realisation of the meaning of life and at that exact point the universe will end.

That's just me being silly, but in a way it shows that I believe no one will ever really "work it all out", so maybe it's all pointless...who knows?

As an introduction to the subject Simon Blackburn's Ethics: A Very Short Introduction might be worth a look. I actually haven't read it, but the Oxford Short Introductions tend to be pretty good.
It is actually a very delicate matter how to teach an introductory class in moral philosophy. One strategy is to make the students familiar with some important theses and arguments in the history of the subject. Another is to present some contemporary issues that students will tend to have opinions about (such as abortion, animal rights etc.) and then explain some old and new arguments for some theses concerning these issues. I haven't (and hopefully will not) teach an introductory course of this sort, but I would probably follow the second strategy to some extent but be rather demanding about the historical readings. I will need to ask a couple friends who actually teach this stuff what they use.

Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Agalloch - The Mantle
Edge Of Sanity - Purgatory Afterglow
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
Jethro Tull - Aqualung

Couple of hundred more..

sorry guys. i did not mean to take the thread in another direction. i doubt i will check out the philosophy forum here, though.
let's get back to the topic. i do think there are metal masterpieces, compositions that actually accomplish what others don't. the song 'brave' by katatonia from the album brave murder day would be on my list of metal masterpieces.

Detric said:
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Edge Of Sanity - Purgatory Afterglow
Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
:headbang:
Pink Floyd - The Wall is not metal :)
The Wall isn't even their best.