Does a metal masterpiece actually exist?

Nice to see some of the albums that I consider masterpieces.

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime (fucking GREAT!)
Slayer - Reign in Blood and Seasons in the Abyss
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Opeth - Still Life and Blackwater Park
Maiden - Number of the Beast
Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Metallica - Master of Puppets and And Justice..
Paradise Lost - Shades of God

honourable mentions:
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
Testament - The Gathering
Maiden - Seventh Son..
Paradise Lost - Icon
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Madball - Hold it Down
Opeth - any album

So yes, I think Masterpieces exist

derbeder said:
sorry guys. i did not mean to take the thread in another direction. i doubt i will check out the philosophy forum here, though.
the CS link in my sig is a philosophy/musings forum I frequent that isn't quite so pseudo-intellectual as the UM one.

the definition of a masterpiece is all up to the individual listener. i think that its silly, pointless, and egotystical to categorize good, bad, masterpiece-worthy music. sure, there are albums that have gone down in history as masterpieces. but, thats more of a landmark or hall of fame type of thingy.

too often do i see this.

"(album)" is fucking brilliant....perfect songwriting, production. this album is a masterpiece."

the rest of the thread

"omg...failure"
"sounds like you need to listen to more music"
"you have no taste for music"
"what the fuck?"
etc.

seriously, why make remarks like this? its so fucking stupid. you're not going to change that person's mind. that person is right, the album IS a masterpiece. anyone that argues against that is WRONG...and they sound like a fucking idiot.

back on track now...yah, so according to where i stand on what makes a masterpiece...its quite possible that every note of music ever recorded or played is a masterpiece. someone out there might just fucking love it, for whatever reasons.

worldwide_suicide said:
ghost reveries is a metal masterpiece, well.. all opeth cd's except the first two :)

oooo i would tend to disagree here, while I think Still Life is the only true Opeth masterpiece, the next closest imo is Morningrise.

JoeVice said:
the definition of a masterpiece is all up to the individual listener. i think that its silly, pointless, and egotystical to categorize good, bad, masterpiece-worthy music. sure, there are albums that have gone down in history as masterpieces. but, thats more of a landmark or hall of fame type of thingy.

too often do i see this.

"(album)" is fucking brilliant....perfect songwriting, production. this album is a masterpiece."

the rest of the thread

"omg...failure"
"sounds like you need to listen to more music"
"you have no taste for music"
"what the fuck?"
etc.

seriously, why make remarks like this? its so fucking stupid. you're not going to change that person's mind. that person is right, the album IS a masterpiece. anyone that argues against that is WRONG...and they sound like a fucking idiot.

back on track now...yah, so according to where i stand on what makes a masterpiece...its quite possible that every note of music ever recorded or played is a masterpiece. someone out there might just fucking love it, for whatever reasons.
This theory