Damnation a Masterpiece???

Shell Shock

Aug 2, 2003
Look, I know it's all a matter of taste... But, seriously, how is Damnation a masterpiece? Look, I like this mellow, light side of Opeth (Fair Judgment is a marvelous song) - and I support their experimentation, for stagnation has never done any good to anyone... But this album is hardly anything amazing.. It has a couple of decent tracks (Windowpane, Need, Rid The Disease) - but others are very average at best.. The lyrics are average at best, as well (summer is miles and miles away.. though no one would ask me to stay - eh...) - I know, they might not be completely fluent in English (though most Swedes I know are) - but they still leave a lot to be desired lyrics-wise in an album where lyrics REALLY have to stand out..

I don't know, it's an interesting release - yes, and I'm saying it honestly (not trying to appease anyone) - but, damn it.. Not at all close to greats like Floyd, King Crimson, Genesis..

Just an opinion here.. Opeth is still one of my favorite bands..

Its thier consistency to constantly put out album after album of amazing material and not turn stagnant at all.They could have easily put out an album of closures and benighted's,which is exactly what everyone here was expecting.If you look at the topics from before damnation was released,you'll see everyone talking about how they cant wait to hear a whole album of acoustic passages similar to harvest etc etc.But instead they decided to experiment with a new songwriting formula,whilst not losing touch with thier signature/trademark style.

Alot of people didnt get this at first i think.And i guess that some still aren't.But given the test of time,this album will be considered a classic.

threak said:
Its thier consistency to constantly put out album after album of amazing material and not turn stagnant at all.They could have easily put out an album of closures and benighted's,which is exactly what everyone here was expecting.If you look at the topics from before damnation was released,you'll see everyone talking about how they cant wait to hear a whole album of acoustic passages similar to harvest etc etc.But instead they decided to experiment with a new songwriting formula,whilst not losing touch with thier signature/trademark style.

Alot of people didnt get this at first i think.And i guess that some still aren't.But given the test of time,this album will be considered a classic.
Well, yeah, they aren't stagnant (that's what I said) - since they're so different release after release.. And it's not that I'm not into this kind of music - I am, a huge Pink Floyd fan.. A little bit of King Crimson, Genesis, ELP here and there - also like Porcupine Tree.. fuck, I don't have anything against Coldplay - so my musical taste varies.. And that's why, probably, I can actually compare..

Dude, You have to suppost the fact that it is opeth . and soft of growlish Mickael has a gifted voice. That album was damn good I have real many reveiws on it and they had no bad points on the Album . his voice is just too great and this album is real Emonticial. its a good album and the soft is Good

Shell Shock said:
Look, I know it's all a matter of taste... But, seriously, how is Damnation a masterpiece? Look, I like this mellow, light side of Opeth (Fair Judgment is a marvelous song) - and I support their experimentation, for stagnation has never done any good to anyone... But this album is hardly anything amazing.. It has a couple of decent tracks (Windowpane, Need, Rid The Disease) - but others are very average at best.. The lyrics are average at best, as well (summer is miles and miles away.. though no one would ask me to stay - eh...) - I know, they might not be completely fluent in English (though most Swedes I know are) - but they still leave a lot to be desired lyrics-wise in an album where lyrics REALLY have to stand out..

I don't know, it's an interesting release - yes, and I'm saying it honestly (not trying to appease anyone) - but, damn it.. Not at all close to greats like Floyd, King Crimson, Genesis..

Just an opinion here.. Opeth is still one of my favorite bands..

I don't think the album has been out long enough to be a masterpiece yet. Give it time a masterpiece just doesn't appear in a few months. While the lyrics may not be the best, they are hardly awful and the fact that they are Swedish has nothing to do with it. They can speak English just as well as most Americans can. Opeth is no Floyd and Floyd is no Opeth. They don't compare, not even close. Too different. I personally love the album. "Hope Leaves" is one of, if not the best song they've ever done. It's just fantastic.

I'm actually not sure if I should get Damnation. I don't have it yet, and I'm on the fence as to whether I'll really like it. Suggestions?

This album is a masterpiece in its own right. Best album I have heard this year so far.
Album=masterpiece (da shiznit)
Damnation tour=honestly was a bit of a let down, but fuck, its still Opeth

Windowpane is every bit as good as anything Pink Floyd have released (and their BEST song IMO is "Hey You!" but they have a few others I REALLY like, like "Goodbye Blue Sky", etc.) Just listen to it (that guitar work, I mean c'mon!)...to say the song is nothing special is just ludicrous, because it is just too beautiful for words. Everyone has to hear an album like this, because I believe everyone who does will embrace it...it is music that is easily likable IMO.

And In My Time Of Need...so simple, so mellow, so beautiful....just terrific! The music is almost too gorgeous for Opeth, and dammit...because of this I really think Mike is a genius! This guy knows heavy and mellow, I seriously believe he could crank out song after song and write just about anything. It will never end....an unknown genius, is what I like to refer to him by. The talent he possesses has to be appreciated.

To me, Damnation is a masterpiece. Why not? Because more than half the world doesn't know it? Because it isn't a million-seller? I bet if it was as popular along the lines of what Pink Floyd sold or whatever, people would be naming it album of the year, best music heard in quite some time, etc. That's just the way I see it. The album is incredible, plain and simple.....

honestly i dont think it was meant to be a masterpiece in the first place.
it is mellow easygoing stuff both stylistically and in execution, i dont think mikael ever wanted to surprise people too much with it.

anyone saying its a "masterpiece" or "teh best" is just a trendy fucker who likes to get overexcited everytime he/she hears a word starting with an ope...

sf.

Sfarog: You'd be surprised the AMAZING things that can come out of experimentation....experimenting, that's what it's all about. And dammit, Damnation is truly a piece of work!

Damn, Damnation it is close to masterpiece, honestly, I love this album......the lyrics are so melancholic (IMO), and the songs are so deep, In My Time Of Need, can make me cry if I am in not a good mood.......
Anyway, Damnation owns, and it is IMO, one of the top 5 of 2003.....
Opeth has an unique and creative way to create music, that keeps amazing me over and over......