A different kind of Motorhead...

just noticed that your avatar is a car. is that yours? if so what is it?

Nice, the 4G63 is a great motor to build. done anything to it yet? Do you have the GSX model?

GSX? Unfortunatly no. Mod list is as follows...
Ported matched head and intake
Pacesetter header (also port matched)
ported o2 housing
2 1/2" exhaust
manual boost controller
rewired fuel pump
hacked and ported MAF
K&N filter w/hacked can
SAFC (the old one with knobs!)
water injection (still working on that one)
crushed bov
filled motor/trans mounts
front strut tower bar
coil overs front and rear
17's from a '00 Eclipse GT
gsx clutch

C'MON GUYS! I CAN'T BE THE ONLY PERSON IN THIS PLACE WITH A CAR!!! POST UP!!!

I love my Volvo 240 Sedan (and yes it's a real Volvo!) - because it's such a safe car! It may not be glamorously rock and roll but I was in a fender bender on the 5 fwy on my way to soundcheck for the Cane's show, and even though the car(s) got pretty messed up, it could have been so much worse than it was if it wasn't for the fact I was driving the "tank". I didn't even get a sore neck!

(A little word to the wise: Try to avoid the speed lane from San Jaun Capistrano to at least camp Pendleton unless there's no choice cuz of the blind spots and erratic traffic patterns. According to my military friends that stretch of road is well known for the number of fatal accidents that have happened.)

I have always owned trucks for the last 19 years due to the gear hauling involved in my lifestyle. I just don't know how anyone can survive without owning at least one SUV or pickup truck! Mostly stock other than the carpeted back with light installed. Used to have Toyotas, now a Chevy.

Lord of D,

two questions about your set up
1) how does rewireing the fuel pump help?
2) how does crushing the bov help?

Sounds like a quick car with that setup. How much boost you running?

Reminds me when I used to work at a shop in Hawaii. We had a customer that bought all the HKS parts (and I mean pretty much everything they offer for it) for his fwd Talon. That thing was a handfull when he really got into it.

1992 GMC K1500
4X4 And I use it.
220HP TBI 350 SBC
700R4 OD trany
NP transfer case
American racing custom wheels
Gm 14 bolt rear axle with limited slip that's a 1 ton axle in 1/2 ton truck heavy friggin duty

Plans
New paint
PP the heads intake and exaust
Flow master exaust
K&N air filter w/ cold air box or maybe an intercooler?
Edlebrock cam
Edlebrock intake
Edlebrock heads maybe $$$
MSD ignition and distributor
ARB air locker
Rear disk brakes
Warn wench
More speakers and wattage in the sound system.

Kerry

Aja- for some reason that I have yet to define, I really like the old boxy Volvo wagons. My wife thinks I'm crazy. Good cars though...

Reaper- Hatchbacks rule! :p

Linda- I have this theory that if you don't own a truck, no one will ask you to help them move, or at least it will put you further down the list. That is how I live without a truck. Though I must say it gets a bit interesting making runs to Home Depot in a compact!

Neal- The dsm's use 16 ga. wire in the fuel pump harness. The best voltage it will ever see like that is just a hair over 12v. Most of the time (depending on the electrical load) it will run 10-11 v. By adding a 12 ga. wire directly from the battery you will see more votage, and pump more fuel.

Crushing the stock bov helps it to seal a bit better, and prevents it from opening at low boost pressures.

I am currently running 16 psi. During the summer I have heat soak issues, which I am currently trying to sort out. I get too much knock in the higher gears to run it very hard. However, in the cooler months its a whole different animal. I would probably put it in the high to mid 13's. My club is having a dyno day here in a few weeks, hopefully I will be able to go and get some solid numbers.

Kerry- Sounds like you have alot going on there! I have a freind back home that is into off roading, and I must say it's a blast.

Looking at your list of future mods, and if you don't mind, I have a couple suggestions. Go ahead and port your stock heads and skip the edelbrock set. One, they are expensive and you'll probably want to port them anyway. Two, ever overheated an engine with aluminum heads? You might get away with it once, but usually they warp. Really badly. Trust me!

The other thing is the cold air box vs. intercooler. If you are thinking of using a air to air cooler, my thoughts are your going to be wasting your time. If you think about it, you will be cooling the ambient air the engine is pulling in with, you guessed it, more ambient air. It won't get you much if anything. If you have information that says otherwise, please, let me know! Now, it you are going air to water, that's a different story, but its a p.i.t.a. You gotta carry water, you gotta carry ice. You have to have some place to store all this stuff and be able to pump it to and from the intercooler. Seeing as how you are naturaly aspirated, I would just stick with the cold air intake. You might also consider alcohol or methanol injection. If you want to drop intake temps, they do a great job. There was a guy in my club running a supercharger in his late model Eclipse with a methanol setup. He got a bit of a gain in power, and it lowered his temps about 75-100 degrees!

Oh yeah, I forgot. More wattage to the cottage! Gotta have that. I noticed right after I got my TIM's cd, mine wasn't loud enough either... My goal is to have the sound of Linda's kick drum knock my rear view mirror off. :headbang:

Lord of Delusions said:
Linda- I have this theory that if you don't own a truck, no one will ask you to help them move, or at least it will put you further down the list. That is how I live without a truck. Though I must say it gets a bit interesting making runs to Home Depot in a compact!

I agree on all fronts! Even with my trucks, Home Depot has been interesting at times! :tickled: Trucks are also great for camping, river runs, and loading up with lots of big dogs (Saftey harnessed of course)!

Well I was thinking about a turbo this is why I said Intercooler?? I wouldn't hurt to have the intercooler already installed, Although at almost 3K I don't think I'm going down that road. For a little more I could buy a crate engine w/350 HP

And I've been debating the Alum heads they are pricey and you right if you over heat them well you might get away with it once but I wouldn't push it.

As for the been asked to help move well sometimes you just gotta be a dick.
Yes this is my truck. NO I won't help you move.
Or a friend will help you move.... a good friend will help you move a body :D :D :D
Kerry

I have my 93 Probe, the only notable non-stock accessories are the stereo head an the "I'd Rather Be Listening To The Iron Maidens" license plate frame. It's been sitting in the garage a lot since I got my morotcycle. Last fall I picked up an 81 Suzuki GS 550. It had been sitting since '97 and paid only $250 for it and spent the last months getting it running. I still have a lot to do on it but it's running and gets 40 mpg in the city. We also have an 86 Bronco II and it main use is to get us into the lake cabin on the weekends. The other half has a 2000 VW Bug, Cyber Green. I don't get to drive it very often.