A Double Bass Query.

Furious B

Aug 9, 2002
MPLS
I have been playing drums for a couple months now, so I’m still a bit of a n00b at it, but I’m looking to buy a double bass pedal. If any drummers could give me some advice as to which ones are good and which are crap that would be great. I’m not looking for the best, but just a decent one to start off with and at a reasonable price. I’m currently looking at purchasing either a Pearl Powershifter Eliminator or a Tama Iron Cobra. If anyone knows anything about these pedals too (good experiences? bad experiences?), that would be great.

Furious B said:
I have been playing drums for a couple months now, so I’m still a bit of a n00b at it, but I’m looking to buy a double bass pedal. If any drummers could give me some advice as to which ones are good and which are crap that would be great. I’m not looking for the best, but just a decent one to start off with and at a reasonable price. I’m currently looking at purchasing either a Pearl Powershifter Eliminator or a Tama Iron Cobra. If anyone knows anything about these pedals too (good experiences? bad experiences?), that would be great.

[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]Pacific Drums by DW DP402 Double Bass Drum Pedal
This 400 series double pedal features a chain and cam drive, stable steel plates, a two-way beater, built-in spurs, plus spring ...
[/font]
[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]This product is eligible for FREE SHIPPING on orders over $299! Click for details[/font][font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]Buy Now[/font][font=Arial,Helvetical,Verdana]$235.00[/font]
[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]$119.99[/font]

I found this At MF.com Its the cheapest I could find for ya And should be Good for a beginner As for the peddles you listed IRON COBRA all the way My drummer has one of those and WOW its nice But you might wanna work your way up to that Practice on something cheap just to make sure thats what you want Anyways Good Luck!

Most of the revered death metal players are using and are endorsed by axis these days. I've heard very intriguing things about these pedals and plan on buying myself some over the summer. Currently I am using iron cobras and have no great complaints...they are tough, smooth, adjustable and reliable. I would actually suggest you hold off for a while on getting a douple pedal...build up your general chops and independence and build up your right foot, it will make a difference down the road. good luck.

Hmmm....I'm getting an AXIS soon!!!! :D

The pedals you listed don't seem like beginner pedals to me! They are the top-of-the-line for each respective drum company! Maybe a Pearl Eliminator for a start, not Powershifter Eliminator. I'm using an intermediate Gibralter that I seem to have outgrown.....so bring on the Axis, baby! I've never liked any Yamahas I've tried but I've never heard of the Flying Dragon so....have fun:)

stay as far away from that pacific pedal that JonnyD referred. I started out with one of those and its not worth 120 bucks. i started with one of those and it was always a bitch to me. the springs would creak all the time, the slave pedal was never completely secure with the bar so the left beater was always dragging. The chain also came detached from the pedals sometimes.

Right now I have the Pearl Powershifter and I highly recommend it. Runs smooth, never had a problem with it except for a squeaky chain that I fixed with WD 40. Its a bit more expensive than a bunch of others but if you're going to be using double bass a lot then its worth it.

dataclast16 said:
stay as far away from that pacific pedal that JonnyD referred. I started out with one of those and its not worth 120 bucks. i started with one of those and it was always a bitch to me. the springs would creak all the time, the slave pedal was never completely secure with the bar so the left beater was always dragging. The chain also came detached from the pedals sometimes.

Right now I have the Pearl Powershifter and I highly recommend it. Runs smooth, never had a problem with it except for a squeaky chain that I fixed with WD 40. Its a bit more expensive than a bunch of others but if you're going to be using double bass a lot then its worth it.

LOL I would listen to him I'ma bass player and have only dabbled with drums I dont know shit about shit when it comes to these things:) I was just trying to help....... Anyway Both FailingAcension & Cimmerian are right you wanna listen to both of them very closely they make good points

Reactions: FailingAcension
The axis is for soft hitters, and isn't a very responsive/feedback oriented pedal, unless you're an advanced or intermediate level drummer, I'd avoid them.

One of my drummers did nothing but rave about the Iron Cobra, but those may or may not be out of your price range.

Just my .02

Reactions: JonnyD
I'm not a drummer (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night j/k) but I have always tinkered around with my former drummers' kits. I never could hit trips and moderate speed double bass with any double pedal, but I didn't do too bad on a double bass set.
Then again, I am a left-handed drummer and only one of my former drummers was left-handed (he had a double bass set : / ) so the tension may have been set for a more powerful right foot.... I don't know.
Anyway, the point I was eventually trying to make was if it is a money issue as opposed to space, maybe you can consider another bass drum. Look around at the used music stores and see if there is a broken set around or or a bass drum calling your name before you get 100% sold on a "cheater" pedal.

Bryant

Adding another bassdrum is massively expensive...and unlike a double pedal there can be no cutting of corners. If you do not purchase the exact same drum, you'll pay for it in a lack of uniformity as have I. I've always tried to insure that my pedal have identical tensions, and I always keep the springs very tight.

Cimmerian said:
Adding another bassdrum is massively expensive...and unlike a double pedal there can be no cutting of corners. If you do not purchase the exact same drum, you'll pay for it in a lack of uniformity as have I. I've always tried to insure that my pedal have identical tensions, and I always keep the springs very tight.

Bear in mind I'ma bass player :) Its my job as you know to follow closely to the drummer Trale la right anyway I have noticed that the sound from 2 bass drums is way better than 1 bass drum with a double peddle But thats my perspective

Happy Hunting

Yes, about adding another bass drum...If I were going to add one I'd sell my old kit and just buy one of the combo deals. Muscian's friend has a great one on Pearl Select Export that someday I might look into. www.musciansfriend.com good site. And for double bass you must have the drum headeds tensioned exactly the same or your feel won't be, like bounce-back and sound. :)

FailingAcension said:
Yes, about adding another bass drum...If I were going to add one I'd sell my old kit and just buy one of the combo deals. Muscian's friend has a great one on Pearl Select Export that someday I might look into. www.musciansfriend.com good site. And for double bass you must have the drum headeds tensioned exactly the same or your feel won't be, like bounce-back and sound. :)

My Drummer has a Tama Rockster Or a Swingster Somthin like that ... Which he got through Musicians Friends Double Bass Drums, Miles of Toms And He uses 2 Iron Cobra Single Peddles Plus Zildgian (cant spell) Cymbles And Boy It sounds Absolutly Incredible I have hoped on it myself A few times And WOW It just Feels Great awsome sound and response all I can say is get a Tama they are some very nice sounding and Playing drums :)

Cimmerian said:

Well I don't want to insult your intelligence as I am not a drummer, but I have to agree and disagree. Furious B never stated what type of kit he has. I don't know if he has a high-end but small set, or a used CB-700 set or what.... My suggestion was....... simply a suggestion. If he does have a "starter" set or a middle=of-the-road used set and he lives in or close to a good sized city, finding a used bass drum is not impossible. While I wouldn't want to add a different brand (or God forbid) a different size bass drum to a higher-end set, who cares if it's a different brand and color on a starter set ? I don't like cheater pedals and o some degree, you have to retrain yourself to play a true double bass set if you use one.
There is energy loss due to the couplings, bearings etc. on a cheater pedal and my personal preference is not to use them in favor of a double bass set, but money and/or space often makes that difficult or impossible for many. As a fledgeling drummer, I don't think investing 2K in a double-bass set is wise, but if you can find a deal, buying a second bass and another pedal like your primary is a good option to allow for close to equal force to drive the pedal. Your technique will develop more quickly with a setup that allows for equal travel, resistance and force in the pedals and the only way to truly get those is by using two identical pedals.

Bryant

JonnyD said:
My Drummer has a Tama Rockster Or a Swingster Somthin like that ... Which he got through Musicians Friends Double Bass Drums, Miles of Toms And He uses 2 Iron Cobra Single Peddles Plus Zildgian (cant spell) Cymbles And Boy It sounds Absolutly Incredible I have hoped on it myself A few times And WOW It just Feels Great awsome sound and response all I can say is get a Tama they are some very nice sounding and Playing drums :)
Sounds awsome, man! Cymbals are SO expensive! lol Next year I'm shooting for a Pearl Export SELECT (better than Export) 8 piece. Looks real nice and it might be in my price range by that time ($1500). And Flo uses Pearl so I must get Pearl.:D

A winner is me! I won a Pearl Powershifter Eliminator double bass pedal off eBay for about 212 dollars. I'm really excited about it. It's awesome too because I'm fixing up my (well, my dad's, but he doesn't use it anymore) kit. It was in pretty bad shape, but it's looking really nice now. Bad-fucking-ass yo!