A Double Bass Query.

Bryant said:
Well I don't want to insult your intelligence as I am not a drummer, but I have to agree and disagree. Furious B never stated what type of kit he has. I don't know if he has a high-end but small set, or a used CB-700 set or what.... My suggestion was....... simply a suggestion. If he does have a "starter" set or a middle=of-the-road used set and he lives in or close to a good sized city, finding a used bass drum is not impossible. While I wouldn't want to add a different brand (or God forbid) a different size bass drum to a higher-end set, who cares if it's a different brand and color on a starter set ? I don't like cheater pedals and o some degree, you have to retrain yourself to play a true double bass set if you use one.
There is energy loss due to the couplings, bearings etc. on a cheater pedal and my personal preference is not to use them in favor of a double bass set, but money and/or space often makes that difficult or impossible for many. As a fledgeling drummer, I don't think investing 2K in a double-bass set is wise, but if you can find a deal, buying a second bass and another pedal like your primary is a good option to allow for close to equal force to drive the pedal. Your technique will develop more quickly with a setup that allows for equal travel, resistance and force in the pedals and the only way to truly get those is by using two identical pedals.

Bryant

Why do you keep referreing to them as cheater pedals?

The points are these:

- You will never get two kick drums to sound exactly the same.
- With two kick drums you'll never have the hihat where you want it
- You'll soon get fed up of luggin the extra drum around
- Unless you're on a decent size stage (unlikely as a beginner) you'll struggle for space
- You're legs are not the same strength so why would it matter if you're pedals are exactly the same. The difference between slave and main pedal on a good double pedal is minimal
- The important thing is your ability. Virgil Donati could smoke any one of us on a crappy dixon or a gilbraltor.

The only real benefit to having two bass drums is the look or if you tune them differently to get two different sounds.

As one who started with two bass drums and then got a double pedal- I'll never go back.