A Fair Judgment

all_sins_undone

New Metal Member
Oct 5, 2005
Sorry, I just had to make a thread about this song. It's UNBELIEVEABLE. I hadn't played Deliverance as a whole for a while, so I hadn't heard AFJ in a while. I have to say, it's one my favorite songs by Opeth. The lyrics are amazing, and the guitar solo(s) are so incredibly rythmic. Wow.

mike usually has a bluesy or jazzy feel...more closely spaced intervals, with a lot of bends and flair...peter does a lot of spacey sounding, linear, further spread arpegio type solos.

blimey said:
Its embarassing but i have a problem differentiating Mikes from Peters.

Listen closely to the solo on this song... first is Mike, then Peter takes off from where Mike left. You'll clearly hear the difference, so from now on you'll know if it's Mike or Peter doing the solo because basically those are their most usual styles.

worldwide_suicide said:
Listen closely to the solo on this song... first is Mike, then Peter takes off from where Mike left. You'll clearly hear the difference, so from now on you'll know if it's Mike or Peter doing the solo because basically those are their most usual styles.
So peters solo starts at 6:56? right?

This is also one of my absolute favorite Opeth songs. I sent this kid I know who DJ's a local radiostation a mix-cd with various songs from Kroda, Emperor, Tamtrum, Minor Threat, and a few other bands, and Opeth - A Fair Judgement, and I just told him to play whichever song(s) he likes the most. Anyway I was listening to his show, and the very first song he played was "A Fair Judgement". I thought that was pretty lush.

My personal favorite also at the moment. Not that I dont appreciate this piece as a whole but the parts that stand out the most to me are the outro, the short interlude by Mike, and the conjoined solos (including the build up) This solo, and Mike's in The Leper Affinity are the type of solos I enjoy the most. The ones that flow through so nicely and just overwhelm you. Sends a shiver down my spine and thats what I appreciate in guitar solos. I only wish I was better at playing them :(

Also, its nice to see hear a comment like that from Moonlapse. I LOVE FAF, it's so beautiful and so full of feeling. One of my favorites off of Deliverance. I honestly cant understand why most fans dont appreciate this one as much...

I think For Absent Friends is fantastic. It was the only song that had grabbed me when I heard Deliverance for the first time. I don't know why, but I just kept getting this vision of a stoic, wind-swept beach somewhere, where the sand was as white as marble and the ocean near see-through. It was the ultimate imagery. I can just see myself chilling out so bad to that track.

I love songs that can make you feel like that. In contrast to the pure emotion that little, simplistic piece evokes, the rest of Deliverance pales in comparison, IMO.