A favour to ask!

Celestial-Todd

The Incredible Bulk
Aug 29, 2002
Western Sydney
www.myspace.com
(posted this on the LORD forum then realised half the people here can't access it haha)

Does anyone in Sydney have a 17" LCD monitor I can borrow until 1st of April?

Or for that matter, any sized lcd monitor I can borrow for that time?

PS- I have a spare 17" monitor but the power supply is dead. If you have one of those switching transformers and it can feed 19V / 2.6A feel free to borrow that.

Yes, but look around... this and 2 or so other forums were full of that shit for ages and it's just fucking old, guys. So you can't post on our forum anymore? Big fuckin' whoop.

I come here to chat with people about TM and stuff in general, and the fact is that some people here just don't go to our forum, and that's fine. Some people aren't welcome to post there, but a lot of those people I have absolutely ZERO problems with but their posting style causes issues with our user base so we had to make a decision so we weren't always going "Ah fuck here we go, another stupid argument incited by that guy/girl".

We have a great community over there, and there's a great one here. It would be a shame to think that the disgruntled people who are no longer welcome on our forum have nothing better to talk about than why they're not welcome on our forum anymore because I think that's a little disrespectful to TM and their community here, regardless if I'm just kind of bored with reading about it or not.

back to the monitor question, Todd.

why do you only need one until the 1st of April?

and if you need a 2nd hand one, would check out such online auction sites like http://dola.com.au but always check the power supplies and such do come with them.

got an 18 inch screen from them and thought that I would need a normal PS but actually had to get a special one.

still, such places are best if you want a relatively cheap deal on a 2nd hand monitor and other computer bits.

I've got a massive job interview on the first and I'm trying to cram as much hands on experience with a couple of particular pieces of software (Red Hat Linux and Oracle databases).... plan on running them on a "virtual machine" on my main rig, I was hoping to get my hands on a second monitor so I could have it display there.... means I can basically have the programs open at the same time as I have instructions and so forth on my main

Glad you said Virtual Machine there... I know a lot of Linux distros are VERY picky about monitors and video cards, and you need to get in and hack the config files to make them work sometimes. If you're running in a VM then it's all good. :)

I've got a massive job interview on the first and I'm trying to cram as much hands on experience with a couple of particular pieces of software (Red Hat Linux and Oracle databases).... plan on running them on a "virtual machine" on my main rig, I was hoping to get my hands on a second monitor so I could have it display there.... means I can basically have the programs open at the same time as I have instructions and so forth on my main

ah.

get you you.

well, depending on space, I would actually suggest picking up or borrowing a CRT monitor -since they are usually going begging.
All you really need is a monitor for dual systems, so a CRT would be just as good -provided you have the space for it- for what you need.

also have to tell you know that Redhat is a cunt to run sometimes, especially on a programming level.
If you have to show use of a Linux based OS, go with Umbutu, which is a graphical/windows interface and really good, plus shows that you can use Linux when you have to get the nitty-gritty of it all.

Other option is to find an old lappy or the like -older model PC- and have a proper dual rig set up, with processors on one and instruction on the other, so you aren't fucking around with your main rig too much or at all.
That means you get the install experience, as well as setting up the databases and such.

all the best with it all, mate.

Maybe I should have mentioned this before.... my main machine is running Ubuntu already :p I'm not going to install Red Hat itself (since it's a pay program), but CentOS is identical and will be using that for the testing

If I had more time, I'd actually go to the effort of compiling it all from source.... but since I'm short for time, I'll just go with a live cd install option

The only reason I'm trying to get my hands on an lcd is that I have very limited room on my computer desk, otherwise I would have already "borrowed" a spare crt from work. If I don't get any positive responses by tomorrow arvo, I'll just grab the smallest monitor I can find (smallest as in footprint on the desk)

Glad you said Virtual Machine there... I know a lot of Linux distros are VERY picky about monitors and video cards, and you need to get in and hack the config files to make them work sometimes. If you're running in a VM then it's all good. :)

I had to do that the first time I installed Ubuntu onto my machine, so setting up the xorg.conf file isn't a big hassle for me :p

But you are right, some things are just a total cunt to get working in Linux. My wireless card is "supposed" to work out of the box, but I could never get it going. I swapped in a "crappy" D-link card and haven't had a problem for three weeks

I had to do that the first time I installed Ubuntu onto my machine, so setting up the xorg.conf file isn't a big hassle for me :p

But you are right, some things are just a total cunt to get working in Linux. My wireless card is "supposed" to work out of the box, but I could never get it going. I swapped in a "crappy" D-link card and haven't had a problem for three weeks

I remember getting RedHat back, oh... about 10 years ago now and I had an Intel i740 based card and a Samsung 15" monitor. My god, I couldn't imagine a more annoying fucking combination of hardware to get going, and after searching the net about trying to get it working I was most definitely not alone in my frustrations.

Linux has really come a long way since then, thankfully!

ALOT of work has gone it to make it "public ready". The thing I tell people about it is that it's a great way to go if you're willing to do a bit of research if/when something fucks up

Plus... it's free... can't complain about that :p

Maybe I should have mentioned this before.... my main machine is running Ubuntu already :p I'm not going to install Red Hat itself (since it's a pay program), but CentOS is identical and will be using that for the testing

If I had more time, I'd actually go to the effort of compiling it all from source.... but since I'm short for time, I'll just go with a live cd install option

The only reason I'm trying to get my hands on an lcd is that I have very limited room on my computer desk, otherwise I would have already "borrowed" a spare crt from work. If I don't get any positive responses by tomorrow arvo, I'll just grab the smallest monitor I can find (smallest as in footprint on the desk)

That's cool, should've guessed all that.

Personally, would still go with a bog computer and work with the programs from that.
You can easily get a pirated of Redhat if you desperately need it.

But you have to do what you have to do and all the best with it, mate.