A few questions to Dan about growling

Earthbound

Trust No One
Mar 8, 2007
Sweden
rateyourmusic.com
I'd like to learn how to growl, if it's even possible for me that is, and it would be awsome if I could get some guidelines and tips from you Dan, or any other growler if there is any here.

So, how did you learn it yourself?
Is it hard to learn or is practicing the most important thing here?
Also, is it easier to learn if you're good at normal singing or is strong lungs or such the key to sucess?

Any tip would be helpful!

Thanks in advance.

Although Dan has got one of the best growl voices in death metal, but says himself that he can't growl for a longer period of time, I doubt he'd be a good teacher...

Although Dan has got one of the best growl voices in death metal, but says himself that he can't growl for a longer period of time, I doubt he'd be a good teacher...

True. I can teach how NOT to growl. That´s all!!!
Most serious vocal coaches can help you with this vocal style today since it has become more mainstream over the years.

good luck

D

True.
Don't want to start a big discussion, but I think back in the days where nobody knew about singing technique poeple had a pretty unique growl. And even some Death Metal singers weren't that deep at all. Like Lars-Göran Petrov, Matti Kärki ... Same with Black Metal... listen to Abbath from Immortal or Ihsahn from Emperor.. you will notice them when you hear them. And that's a good thing I think.
Today I don't hear many unique voices. Don't know if it's just about the technique... but even when you destroy your vocal chord, Dan... your growl is killer. So praise the non-existing technique :worship:

Hehe!
I use a style that I say is half way between Dan and Glen Benton. Clear and deep. Mostly it comes from my diaphragm, but when I want an extra bit of brutality, it comes from the throat, and that hurts. My black metal vox all come from the throat and that hurts. I have to learn how to do them properly.

I growl from the throat even though I try not to, luckily It hasn't hurt seriously ever, my growl is a similar style to Dan... And the Amon Amarth singer, but I uses a slightly higher black shriek more often, even alternating between the two styles regularly.

Hopefully we will get to hear Dan growling on another album in the near future, his death vocals are amazing to me, even if he cannot growl consistantly he should still be able to record another album.