A few questions....

YaYo

whendaydescends.com
May 6, 2001
..to the kayo dot people, about the writing process i guess. I'll try not make this a habit ;) Just happens to be something i'm interested in at the moment.

How much is written before you enter the studio? (all those layers?)

Do you record demo versions of the tracks? How close are they to the final product (in terms of content, not production)?

How much will the basic structure of a song change from the initial drafts until the finished product?

Do you ever get tired of writing 'complex' music?

How much disagreement is there about the numerous parts and layers in the songs?

What brand of toothpaste do you use? Does this affect the writing process?

Even though this is a statement, the misplaced question mark makes it look like a question?

How much is written before you enter the studio? (all those layers?)

Pretty much all of it. Maybe 99.99 percent.

Do you record demo versions of the tracks? How close are they to the final product (in terms of content, not production)?

We used to when we had access to free studio time, but on this last record did not.

How much will the basic structure of a song change from the initial drafts until the finished product?

Ever so slightly if at all.

Do you ever get tired of writing 'complex' music?

I think 'tired' isn't the best word. Sometimes I listen to Stereolab and think how I want to be in a band like that.

How much disagreement is there about the numerous parts and layers in the songs?

Generally on average one part per song or less.

What brand of toothpaste do you use? Does this affect the writing process?

For me, whatever my roommates happen to buy. No, it does not affect the writing process.

Even though this is a statement, the misplaced question mark makes it look like a question?

That's true.

To specify a little bit: Nothing is written in the studio (basically), but not everything is written before the first session in the studio. Toby and I will record one scratch guitar part (that gets thrown away eventually 99 times out of 100) and the drums. This recording gets passed around to everyone else so they can start working on their bits and pieces. We record over such a long period of time that there are parts that aren't written until 9 or 10 months after the drums are recorded. (Keep in mind that recording for a year does not mean a solid year of tracking or anything like that - we might record one weekend a month on average for that year.)

Thanks for the info!

This intrigues me. I like to do little demos as i go so that i can hear how it sounds and know when more or less is needed. I guess the scattered recording process allows this a fair bit though.

And i'm surprised there's not more disagreement along the way. My band is always having to compromise along the way and rewrite sections and such, it almost always turns out for the better though. Heck, last song i wrote for that band i had to completely rewrite the last half!

Firedwarf said:
I like hearing about this sort of stuff too.

as do i. i read a while ago that toby got the basic idea for interlude 4 from a dream. that's insane. it must have been a pristine chrstmassy dream. i'm not asking for an elaboration though.. though i wouldn't mind one. :)

To contradict Toby slightly: I think we actually did some "set up a mic in the middle of the room" style demos of the material for Choirs, but it was just he and I, way before everybody else's parts were written. And (haha) I don't know if we ever actually listened to them afterwards!

I bet there's not so much disagreement, because everyone can agree that the parts are killer....

I find it amazing that the material was written before entering the studio and the initial conception remained largely intact on the last album, especially since the songs are so detailed and incorporate a multitude of ideas and influences...

so as far as the compositional structures/maps, all groundwork is done pre-studio, right? but is there any improvisation done in studio, like greg's solos and stuff?
like on nd stuff, the keyboard parts were often arranged on the spot as it was difficult to decide without hearing what sounds/tones would work best- and i'm working on some electric guitar stuff for a guy's acoustic project now that is practically all composed on the spot (a few ideas brought in, but most is improv).