A few words about beer.

chupe666

You may enter up to 25 ch
Apr 11, 2002
Where you live
www.chupetunes.com
I posted this on the maudlin of the Well board too, but some of you may have missed it. Mostly, this is for Larry & Joe (although Joe has no computer- take a leap into the 80s, already JOE!), who were on the tour at Lakefront Brewery Metalfest weekend. Remember the law he mentioned about concerning the 4 ingredients in beer?

The rest of you can just thank me later for giving you the opportunity to learn something that will surely have great impact on your daily lives, not to mention your endless search for tasty beverages and little green aliens in kayaks.

------------------
Origins of Beer
Once upon a time there was a Prince who had a fondness for grapes and would store them during the winter packed in goatskins so he could enjoy them off season. One of these goatskins apparently went bad and he ordered a Poison sign placed on it until the goatskin could be hauled away. In the meantime, the Prince's favorite concubine was framed by a upstart vying for her position and she was thrown out of the harem. Since she truly loved the Prince, she decided to kill herself in a fit of passion and, seeing the poisonous grapes, drank them down. Since they were not poisonous, but merely fermented, she did not die but instead became rip-roaring drunk. With her inhibitions gone, she slipped back into the harem and lopped off the head of her competition with a sword. Her spirit impressed the Prince a great deal and that night he, too, tried the grape poison and liked the effect on himself and his concubine so much that he thereafter ordered it served to all his harem girls and thus began the time honored tradition of getting women drunk. From this tale, we get the famous bartender's query, name your poison. This fable has been handed down through the centuries to illustrate the first instance of alcoholic drinks. Wine was probably the first alcoholic drink made but beer was certainly a close second. Whether or not this tale is true is unknown, and where alcoholic beverages really came from, unfortunately, remains a mystery.

The Greek historian, Herodotus, credited the Egyptians with making the first true beer. The Indians and Chinese were also early beer makers. Recent evidence, however, supports the theory that the Mesopotamians and Sumerians were actually the first beer drinkers as long ago as 10,000 B.C. Whoever is right, one fact is clear; beer has been around a long, long time.

Beer may have been the first thing nomadic farmers produced after they first settled down 10,000 years ago in Mesopotamia and the city-states of Sumer, and some even believe the date was much earlier, around 25,000 B.C.E. Four-thousand years ago, shortly after the Sumerians developed the first written language, cuneiform, they wrote detailed and sophisticated instructions of beer-making, suggesting that the technique had been established and refined for a long period of time.

Until recently, most archaeologists believed bread was the first product of the new agro-society. Archaeologists agree that barley was the first grain grown, but disagree sharply as to what they did with it. Beer and bread share many ingredients and manufacturing processes. Many believe it was beer which was first produced, albeit by accident. As the fable of the prince and his grapes illustrates, beer, and in the prince's case wine, was surely discovered by accident. The accident of fermentation is certainly easier to imagine than the baking of bread. Bread-making is far more complicated and would require a great deal of forethought whereas fermentation could easily have occurred by letting freshly harvested grain stand wet and exposed to yeast. This would have produced a rudimentary drink which would have reduced the early Sumerians to drunken sots.

Amazingly, the ancient beer had much more nutritional value than their bread and was safer than the water (which probably spawned the first don't drink the water jokes). There is a 6,000 year old clay tablet which depicts people drinking through reed straws from a large bowl, which is how drinking beer was described 2,000 years later in Sumerian written records. In 1990, Fritz Maytag, the owner of the Anchor Steam breweries, worked with Archaeologists to successfully make a beer using the same methods and ingredients as the ancient Sumerians. From their success, it is clear that beer was certainly made when civilization was still in its infancy.

The word beer itself liekly comes from either the old english bere or beere from the plant which was once used in making beer. Later, the more refined Barley was substituted but the drink was still called beer. Another possibility is that it comes from the Latin bibere which means to drink which then became biber and then bier. In Spanish, the word for beer is cerveza, which has its origin in Ceres, the Roman goddess of Agriculture.

The northern part of Europe, including the British Isles, had a cooler climate better suited to beer making because barley grew easily there. In Germany and England, beer became a staple of their diets, and was commonly referred to as liquid bread. This explains why southern Europe, where grapes grew easily, has a more developed wine industry.

In 1516, the Germans instituted the now famous Reinheitsgebot, a law (still in effect today) which strictly dictates what ingredients may go into beer. There are only four legal ingredients; 1) Barley, 2) Hops, 3) Yeast, and 4) Water.

Hmm, quite interesting stuff there. I am gonna forward this on to a friend who is quite the beer connoisseur and who has also told me many stories on the origins of beer.

By the way...beer bread is excellent and quite easy to make...I recommend everyone on the board to try it!

Oh yeah...the fifth ingredient...MALT:p

Originally posted by ShadowLioness
Oh yeah...the fifth ingredient...MALT:p
YES!! That's exactly what the owner of Lakefront Brewery said- they stick to the 4 main ingredients, and also add Malt sometimes. They have a great malty ale called Riverwest Stein which is kind of hoppy and kind of malty- sort of like a heavier Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Their Fuel Coffee Flavored beer has the most coffee flavor I've ever tasted in a beer.

I mentioned it in the room Friday at least- I thought I said it so many times I sounded like a little school girl all excited that the circus was coming to town. It was good. We have pictures, and if you post them I may even give you a treat.

Not that kind of treat.

I meant a Lakefront Beer. Good schtuff.

Originally posted by chupe666

YES!! That's exactly what the owner of Lakefront Brewery said- they stick to the 4 main ingredients, and also add Malt sometimes. They have a great malty ale called Riverwest Stein which is kind of hoppy and kind of malty- sort of like a heavier Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Their Fuel Coffee Flavored beer has the most coffee flavor I've ever tasted in a beer.

Hehehe, I am quite the fan of malty beer. The hoppier (is that a word?:loco: ) ones tend to be too bitter for me. I have heard of the Lakefront brewery, would like to go someday. I have been to a few good places in Illinois. There's a great brewery in Lake in the Hills (close to Carpentersville) called Governer's Public House. They have excellent brews and outstanding food as well. My favorite is...Celtic Cream Ale if I am not mistaken on the name. Went to a brewmaster's dinner there once and they even gave us a tour of the actual brewery downstairs...quite interesting. Another good place is the Ram, which is in Schaumburg. Same deal, good brewski's, good eats. Both places have cool atmosphere too:D .

Everyone try this at home!!:D

KRIGSMJÖD

By Henri Sorvali © 2001

You need:
5 cans ( 450g/can,”Countryside Honey” is very good label) of regular honey.
4 bags (500g/bag) of brown sugar. (=”Fariinisokeri” in Finnish.)
30g of yeast
5 big lemons
27 litres of water
1 litre of cranberry/lingonberry/blackcurrant juice.
a big bucket (for 30 litres) with a fermenting-lock.
An alcohol-meter

1. Mix all the sugar and honey with almost boiling water ( 1 kg of sugar needs 1 liter of water,but the honey needs more….so mix one bag of honey [450g] with one litre of water!) and pour all of this into the big bucket.

2. Add the 1 litre of juice you bought.It adds a great taste,but contains also a spiritual meaning,as it´s symbolizing the blood of the Einherjer.

3. So…now you have a bucket with hot liquid,right?.There should now be something like 8 litres of stuff in the bucket.

4. Get another small bowl,and mix the yeast with room-temperatured water.This takes approximately a 0,5 litres of water. Now,is the yeast mixed completely with the water? Good. Keep it in the table for a moment and DO NOT add it into the very hot liquid yet,as it will kill the yeast and your mead will never start to ferment.

5. Add the rest of the water (colder,of course….to balance the temperature of the liquid) to the bucket,so that it will be almost full now…and be VERY sure that the temperature of the water is near to room-temperature,(=ab.22-25 celsius) because if it´s too much below or over that,you´ll never get any alcohol,´cause the yeast will die. Use common sense.

6. Add the contains of the yeast-bowl to the big bucket. YES,you schmuck.The one where is that
30 g of yeast mixed with that 0,5 litres of water.

7. Wash the lemons and chop them (don´t peel!) into slices.Add the slices into the bucket now full of still non-fermented mead. Mix the whole package.

8. Close the bucket,pour some water into the fermenting-lock (to get the process starting) and keep the bucket in a warm place.(Bathroom is ok….but the ideal temperature is something like 25-30 celsius.) And try not to move that bucket during the fermenting-process, as we don´t want yeasty drinks,right?

9. Wait for a day,maybe two,and the fermenting should begin.However,if it doesn´t,continue adding half a kilo of normal (white) sugar and wait for a day or two.If nothing happens,continue doing that as long as needed. If that doesn´t help,throw that shit away and buy beer….lots of beer.

10. Let the mead ferment for three weeks in the bucket.After that,it should contain something like 8 percent of alcohol.If it doesn´t,you can pour some more sugar into the bucket and wait for a couple of days.

11. So….now you have about 30 litres of mead with alcohol…but where are the bubbles?Don´t panic,we´ll continue the work to get them. Bottle the mead into PLASTIC (for you own safety) bottles (Pepsi,Fanta,etc…whatever bottles you have,just try to get bottles with capacity of 1,5 litres as it´s the most ideal size.) It´s your own decision how you´ll get that mead into the bottles,but I recommend to do it with siphon. (Suomalaisille siis lappo.). And be warned,the last 1-3 litres of the mead in the bucket have all the yeast which has gone down to the bottom during fermenting ,so it would be wise just to throw them away.Trust me,you don´t want to get a hurting stomach. I know.

12. So,now you have filled you bottles with mead.Add one teaspoon of sugar into each bottle before closing them.(be quick,as in the next second you´ve done it,the mead starts to burst out in a REALLY fast speed!).Close the bottles and let them be in warm place for a half a week or week,depending how much you want carbonic acid (=bubbles). Besides the bubbles,you´ll also get from one to two percents of more alcohol,which is always a nice side-effect.

13.Drink heads off while singing "Oppi Fjellet" or something as cheesy. And remember a toast for the Fallen Ones!

:) ...better than normal beer!

Originally posted by The Wanderer
your loss. hehe.

we have a few good brewerys here in Denver. The Fat Tire and breckenridge brewery and the wynkoop. yummy.
FAT TIRE IS AWESOME. I get that in St. Louis every so often. Although I don't think I've ever seen it in stores in Chicago, it is definitely available in St. Louis. Good amber ale. There's a bunch around Chicago that are good- Goose Island is probably one of the bigger ones, but Three Floyds is really good (one of my faves) and there used to be Wild Onion that made the best Pumpkin Ale I ever had- better than Buffalo Bill's. But they went out of bottling business and intend to open a brewpub only, I believe. St. Louis has Schlafly beer, by a company called the St. Louis Brewery, and they have all the usual good microbrewed beers.

Another beer tidbit I got in an e-mail today...from my mother of all people...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts. So in old England, when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them to mind their own pints and quarts and settle down. It's where we get the phrase "mind your P's and Q's" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh yeah...and I have Goose Island in my fridge right now
;)

Another one...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.
"Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a whistle baked into the rim or handle of their ceramic cups. When they needed a refill, they used the whistle to get some service. "Wet your whistle" is the phrase inspired by this practice. " ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.