Beer

Had some German biers last night. Started with two kellers that were pretty similar, Sternquell Keillerbier and Pirker Kellerbier. The first one seemed darker which could mean oxidation, but it didn't feel oxidized. They are very cluttered beers (unpasterized, with bits and pieces of yeast floating aound), of medieval color. I got a hint of apples in the beginning. They were both very spritzy which surprised me.

Then I had a Wurth Winter-Zoigl which was just strange and I cannot possibly describe it. A lot of unknown tastes for me.

I continued with bocks. The Lang-Brau reassured me that I prefer dunkels. I think they hide the alcohol better. The helles bocks I've had recently were all quite boozy.

I don't remember much of the last one because I was already getting pretty tired and it was around midnight.

Should I continue German explorations today? I might. According to Untappd I've had 196 distinct German beers so far and there's no stopping now. Let's get to 250 at least. Germany is our biggest and beeriest neighbor so it makes sense to explore it!

1-Sternquell keller.jpg 2-pirker zoigl.jpg 3-wurth winter zoigl.jpg 4-Lang braudoppelbock.jpg 5-weltenburger.jpg

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
Went to a bar on friday to indulge on some hazecans. They had Cloudwater All-season pale, Garage Beer Co. from Spain, and Lervig Supersonic in the fridges. Cloudwater incredible as usual. Lervig Supersonic is a classic by now, Virtue Signal by Garage Beer Co. was better than their Bag Handler which seemed to be too grassy for my tastes.

Instapost here, won't spam this thread with more pics rn. :)

Ordered 8 different imperial stouts. Impstout tasting imminent. 4 are from Estonia, 2 from France, 2 from Denmark. Puhaste is a thing of heart as they're from Tartu which I visited last year in summer and they're suddenly available here and To Ol is one of my all-time favorites. Never had La Débauche so that should be interesting.

Most of them have some high fucking ratings on Untappd, like Trinity In Black, which is a collab with some Russian breweries, has 4.23/5. "Brewed with tonka beans, cocoa nibs, vanilla and lactose". I don't think I've ever had Tonka beans in beer. I also can't wait to have a chilli impstout again as the french Big Boy is with chilli. Pohjala's Sechuan Banger is collecting some very positive reviews from my beer friends around here and the description is fucked up as well "brewed with Szechuan peppercorn, star anise, fresh ginger and Pu-Erh tea". Can't wait.

1 Pühaste / AF Brew / Zagovor - Trinity In Black 330ml
1 Pühaste Tumeaine Guetemala Coffee 330ml
1 Pühaste Dekadents 330ml
1 La Débauche Demi Mondaine 330ml
1 La Débauche Big Boy 330ml
1 To Ol Jule Mælk Islay Edition 375ml
1 Põhjala Szechuan Bänger 330ml
1 To Ol Jule Mælk Tequila Edition 375ml

55576161_2385439531474892_7369177167034318848_n.jpg

Had some German beers yesterday and this beer label literally says MORE ALCOHOL. A marketing so
straightforward that it almost feels insensitive towards the customer. :tickled:

IMG_20190515_212836.jpg

I'm surprised those unfiltered IPA's don't make you squirt blood. My fav's would probably have to be Heady Topper, Lunch and especially Gandhi Bot. Havent had any of those in a long while though.

Was hanging out with my dad this past weekend and he had picked up a few czech brews from the market...

X1qBUUf.jpg

fhfAjCY.jpg

Fist one was pretty shitty but the "star of pilsen"(lol) was ok.

I'm surprised those unfiltered IPA's don't make you squirt blood. My fav's would probably have to be Heady Topper, Lunch and especially Gandhi Bot. Havent had any of those in a long while though.

Was hanging out with my dad this past weekend and he had picked up a few czech brews from the market...

X1qBUUf.jpg

fhfAjCY.jpg

Fist one was pretty shitty but the "star of pilsen"(lol) was ok.

Are those Russian?

nah, like i said they're from the czech republic. The dark one is brewed in Nyumburk.

Strange, they must be only brewed for export, I've never seen them. It's usually the Russian beers that pretend to be czech like Žatecký Gus.

One way or another, people don't actually drink this here.

Attended a tap takeover in my favorite bar in Prague. The brewery was German and apparently very trendy nowadays, called Sudden Death Brewing. I've heard the name before but now they're deemed to have mastered the hazy IPAs style. Yesterday I had three of their New England IPAs on tap and they were the cleanest and softest I've had in a while, definitely moreso than any czech brews I can think of rn. Zero booziness and no tail or roughness. With the emergence of breweries such as Fuerst Wiacek, FrauGruber, and Sudden Death, I think the New England style is firmly rooting in the German lagersoil. (y)

IMG_20190613_193012.jpg

So I returned from my trip to Riga, Tallinn, and Tartu, and now it's time to reminisce about some of the beers that have been had.

First of all, Riga's craft beer scene has pleasantly surprised me. There's a number of cool beerbars and bottle shops around the centre and the local breweries are not afraid of experimentation. I've had a banana gose and a couple of herbed saisons and smoked ales with fir needles and such. Good stuff. The bar on the pic was our favorite, Miezis un kompania, right on the border of the historical centre.

IMG_20190716_194734.jpg

I managed to grab some US beers in Riga, in some underground beer store, stuff from the east coast that's not available in Europe globally. Opted for Evil Twin NYC and Untitled Art sours, and an Ascension brewing IPA. It's nice to see those imported even though the prices are not very friendly.

result_1563553324345.jpg

result_1563555115880.jpg

The most I've ever paid for a bottle right here. It was like 50 EUR. I've had Armand and Gaston before but not this. It would be interesting to compare them side to side but hell, when is that ever going to happen.

result_1563820975838.jpg
We visited the Pohjala taproom in Tallinn which was a nice experience. Very modern, trendy approach and their strong imperial stouts and porters are always nice. Like this Vahtra BBA cellar series item. Oh yeah, my new glass. :)

IMG_20190721_181239.jpg

Their collab with Fuerst Wiacek from Germany was tasty as well. Fuerst Wiacek has some beers on tap today in one of the Prague's bars but not sure if I can make it there.

result_1563989254746.jpg

EDIT: Check out those instapours bois.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
Tried some sour Omniopollos and Brewskis yesterday. Omnipollos were thicc like thawed ice creams and the Brewski berliner weisses tasted like a pie, all around, including dough.

IMG_20190919_213431.jpg

Meanwhile, this exhibit is placed on the shelf at my work, waiting for the right moment:

IMG_20190920_102420.jpg