A good amp to play live with

livingtodie

Mar 24, 2004
I'm sick of my Line 6 Spider II, it sounds like shit live.
I have a budget of $1500, recommend me a really good amp (just the head, i have a cabinet already) that has that warm clear tone and the ultra heavy low-end. (I play technical death metal so clarity is key + a booming low end.)
thanks

I'd go with either a marshall half stack with a tube head, or Mesa

If you want clarity and precision I wouldn't go with a valve head unless it's a double or triple rectifier. You'll get a much more precise response from a valve head like a Mesa Boogie Double Rectifier than you would from from something like a Marshall JMP or Hiwatt Custom 100. You should be able to get one second hand for your price range... Peavey 5150s are quite good for that too, Eddie Van Halen helped design them...

Otherwise look into transistor amps, you'll generally get a sharper attack, which is better for technical metal, and brighter highs, however a good valve head will give a bit more grunt, but may sound a bit sloppier, which you don't want when playing fast runs... This is only my opinion, I'd opt for valve every time, but I like heavy slow stuff, so that's my choice...

ENGL or Mesa. I've heard good things about Madison too. do you have any kind of decent music store close by to test different products? Since you play tech death, I thought I would mention Joe Payne (Nile, Domination Through Impurity) uses a Mesa Dual Rectifier for DTI which he is lead guitar and vocals for.

You might want to check these:
ENGL Fireball
Framus Dragon (way over your budget new but I've seen many go under 1500$ used)
Framus Cobra (Same as Dragon regarding the price)

I'm not exactly what you're looking for (or where you live) but if you can try these at least that would give you an idea. You can go to Rocksolidamps.com to hear some clips of these and many more amps.

To those who suggested Madison Framus and Engl... White Power. If you get the madison get the omen head... its sick. And the peavey 6505 cab... sick nasty