A good digital camera for recording playing guitar?

Brakk

May 15, 2007
Lately Ive been thinking about buying a digital camera for about around 130$ to make videos of me playing guitar

Im looking for one with good sound quality for recording the heavy distortion and all that, of course
Also one I can buy from wal-mart or something

Thanks

Yeah man....it ain't gonna happen for 130$. I work for Circuit City's imaging department..plus I'm about to graduate from Penn State with an Electrical engineering degree specializing in optics (just so you know I'm not just some bum telling you bogus shit)...but you ain't gonna find a decent camera for that price. The best camera you're gonna find for close to 130$ is the sony cybershot DSCw55 (around 150$-160$) or the canon powershota560 (130$-140$) and both of those aren't gonna give you amazing video's. In fact most point-and-shoot cameras are gonna shoot low resolution/low response time videos...meaning your videos are gonna look like shit pretty much. It'll be much more effective to just save some more money and buy a low end camcorder. Even a low end camcorder will shoot better quality video's than your typical point and shoot digital camera. You can find a pretty basic MiniDV (mini VHS tape) camcorder for around 230$-250$ that will give you something worth posting for people. Now in terms of Audio....the mics on digital cameras aren't meant for extreme volume...so if you're planning on blaring your distortion you're wasting your time with a digital camera. The mics on these cameras are very sensitive and will just sound like crap. Some camcorders come with external mic inputs where you can use a seperate mic...for example a karaoke mic or what not...but that way you can play much louder and won't blow the shit out of your camcorder's mic. Either way...I'm sorry to burst your bubble...but your expectations aren't matching up with your criteria. You're gonna have to make a sacrifice in either the amount you want to spend or the quality of recording you want to post. Good luck!

You should try buying a mic and a camera, and recording from both, and using the sound from the microphone and syncing it with the video. It won't be great for your budget but it would have better sound quality.

I don't have much experience with all this stuff but I'm sure theres an inexpensive way to hook your guitar up to a camera.