A Hard to Describe Request (German Metal)

NinjaGeek

Feb 22, 2007
Mmmm not sure how to word this in a way thats understandable to other people. But basically I'm looking for some Metal that feels like it has a lot of German Power(Not Power Metal) in it. Some examples of what I'm talking about would be the songs Riders on the Storm and Revolution by Die Apokalyptischen Reiter. I guess this is kind of a stab in the dark, so if you don't know what the hell I'm talking about just recommend me some kickass German Metal to headbang to, probably Thrash or DeathThrash genre-wise but anything you think fits is fine.

...Kreator?

Really fucking obvious rec, but that's the only German death/thrash I know. :)

There's really no such thing as an obvious rec for me. I'm relatively new to metal and music in general, and since there's a lot I listen to besides metal so there are a lot of metal bands I haven't had a chance to get into yet and Kreator is one them.

German Power? You mean like, nationalism? Anyway...

Protector
Necronomicon
Sodom
Destruction
Tankard
Assassin
Living Death
Violent Force

Lots of great stuff, but not exactly what I'm looking for in this particular case.

Looking for stuff that has a hint of an epic feel, and maybe some really deep clean vocals(additional screams and growls are fine too).

Hope no one takes this the wrong way, but kind of looking for the feel of "If there was metal playing While Hitler was giving a speech, what would it sound like?" not in the "kill the jews" kind of way but more of a "we're germans, we're united, we kick ass, and we're going to take over the world".

You're wanting rec's to the German verison of the Red Army Choir; too bad I know of no such thing!

Does it have to be German or can it simply be militant and epic more generally?

Does it have to be German or can it simply be militant and epic more generally?

German is much preferred, but feel free to recommend other countries' stuff too. I just have a specific image in my mind of the type of music I'm looking for and it feels very german, but country shouldn't matter too much if the bands pulls it off right.

On the second disc of Versus the World, Amon Amarth recorded a version of Victorious March in German. Should pretty much fit your request. Amon Amarth in general tends to have the feel you're looking for. You might want to look into some of the more death-metal-y Viking metal.
Nordland I & II by Bathory might work. Not too heavy, but some headbanging riffs and lots of rousing choirs and stirring, martial lyrics.

For German death and thrash, Kreator, Sodom, Destruction, and Dew-Scented

anybody know any german metal bands that have vocals sorta like rammstein?