A Huge thank-you from Mikes Family

Hayley( Mikes Mrs)

New Metal Member
Dec 18, 2009
It's taken me a while to get my thoughts sorted and for that I apologise but here goes....I'd like to thank everybody who has been so generous and kind after Mikes death.
I asked Ol to put up the speeches myself,his sons and his mother wrote for the tribute shows but the poor lad has been so busy he hasn't got around to it yet so you'll just have to deal with me waffling!(Coz I don't know how to put them up myself...lol)
I'd like to thank all Mikes fans and metal friends you are what made it bearable when he was away from his family,don't get me wrong Mike lived for metal but he would have found it even harder without so many people making him smile and joining in with his stupid jokes when he was on tour...he used to come home and share so many stories with me which made us both laugh.
The Evile lads have been so great helping and supporting wherever possible even though it was also difficult for them.
Thanks to Tony and June Drake who've been amazing.
Julie and Talita and all the Earache gang...thank-you also.
The UK Thrash team and everybody who sent donations...just so unbelievable...thank-you.
Everybody involved in the Snooty Fox gig and the Tribute gigs...they were great nights and Mike would have loved them....they were a true Metal send off and made me all the more proud of what he achieved.
All the people and bands who donated stuff for the raffle which was also out of this world!
I could go on forever at this rate but basically I just want to say THANK-YOU ALL...the kind words and love for Mike has really helped us get through this ...Mike used to say being involved in Metal was like having another family...well I finally understand what he meant and you've all been great.
He was doing this because he loved the music but also for his kids to have a better life and your generosity has helped set up a trust fund for all of them and I'm also saving all the messages and cards so they can look whenever they want and know how much their dad was admired and loved.
I miss him everyday...his infectious laugh his daft faces his really bad jokes...the fact that Killer from the Deep came about coz I have a shark phobia and he thought it was hilarious chasing me around the house singing it at the top of his voice...git!...lol....I'd give anything just to see him one more time but that's never going to happen so I'm content to live with the fact so many people remember him like I do and that will never go away....Thank-you all.....Hayley....xxx

Hayley, Mike earned every bit of love and gratitude shown at the memorial gigs, and then some. A lot of people die every day, but very very few have a send off like that, and that's testament to how awesome he was. I met a whole bunch of new people at the Leeds gig, and more often than not they had some brilliant story to tell about him. I think I can speak for everyone when I say that he's sorely missed, and that we're glad that the money we donated will help you and the kids get through without him.

Hayley, you're so right about how much Mike was loved and respected, he was always the guy that hung out in the crowd watching the other bands, whether Evile were supporting or headlining, and he always remembered your name If he'd seen you at other gigs. The way I will remember him is a story he told me about being on tour with Exodus. One of the Exodus guys told Mike not to go into the pit during Exodus's show in case he got hurt, and wouldn't be able to play his guitar with Evile. Mike's answer to this was "Bollocks, I'm not a rock star, I'm a metal fan that happens to be in a band". He always was "one of us", and always will be, and October 5th is a day when we will always raise a glass.

Everybody has a story about Mike, he just loved meeting the fans, and it was a pleasure to meet him, he was so funny and tallented. Theres an interview and he says the most perfect words to sum up the way he was. And ive managed to just find it now.

At about 5 minutes in.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're always here if you need us m'am!

I was never able to donate to the cause due to Paypal being something I do not feel comfortable with using, but it was always in my thoughts. Mike was a great bassist, and someone I wish I could've met, as he seemed like an amazing person.