A Late Review (VFTSG)

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
I've already listened to VISIONS FROM THE SPIRAL GENERATOR a dozen times (most memorably during my vacation trip to Disneyland) and at work where my co-workers who didn't even know who Vintersorg was approved of the music. And I never got a chance to talk about it with the good members of the Vintersorg Message Boards. So here it is...

1. "Quotation"

"The only laws of matter are those our mind must fabricate, and the only laws of mind are fabricated by matter." Lovely intro.

2. "Vem Styr Symmetrin?"

Great opening tune. I got a taste (very quickly) of Mr. Vintersorg's lovely singing and devastating screams and growls. Solid song...one of the best on the CD.

3. "A Metaphysical Drama"

Not only my favourite song on VISIONS FROM THE SPIRAL GENERATOR, but it's also my favourite Vintersorg song...period. However, I only have VISIONS FROM THE SPIRAL GENERATOR and THE FOCUSING BLUR. This may change, but it will still be one of my favourites. My favourite part is the final refrain...

"Rainbows in colours never seen (ahhhhhh ah ah ah ahhhhhhh)
In symbioses with Nordic light that flashes in green (ahhhhhh ah ah ah ahhhhhhh). AWESOME vocals.

4. "Universums Dunkla Alfabet"

Cool tune. The opening organ playing is very Amorphis-ish. Or at least that's what it reminded me of...

5. "E.S.P. Mirage"

Interesting opening to this song...some great stuff from Mr. Steve Di Giorgio, one of metal's all time great bass players. And such a great chorus.

"E.S.P. MIRAAAAAAAGGGGGGEEEEEE!!!"

6. "Spegelsparen"

More cool stuff from Mr. Di Giorgio. More cool vocals from Vintersorg. And some nice keyboard stuff in it as well...

7. "The Explorer"

Beautiful vocal setup to this tune...then it goes right into a cool riff layered by Vintersorg's trademark screech. One of the choice tunes.

8. "A Star-guarded Coronation"

Lovely acoustic riffing at the opening of this song. Almost pop-ish. We'll just say 'accessible.' But who cares? Great song...

9. "Trance Locator"

Nice @$$ kicker to end a great CD. Vintersorg and Blastbeats...

Like peanut butter and jelly! :D

when this cd was released my thoughts about it where mostly "bleh", then som time passed and my opinions were more in the line of "hm.... nah, bleh, progressive crap". but a few months from now i listened to it and really appreciated it and has given it some more time thereafter.
yes, it is a very good cd :)

Overlord Purple Rainbow- im sure you know this but don't overlook Cosmic Genesis. It is without question my favorite Vintersorg offering to date. I happen to love VFTSG and the focusing Blur. It seems people were a little unsure when VFTSG came out but it felt like a natural progression in my opinion. Anyhow, Cosmic Genesis is another great offering from Vintersorg, so take some time to check it out.

I listened to it once again and the album had some atmospheric tension that reminds me to the tension of working with mathematics or physics, which I hate, although I don't hate natural sciences as a whole, combined with the sensual experience and climaxes of the music. In the past I thought the Explorer would be by far the best song on vftsg but now everything seems to fit and it flows very good. That does not mean that it didn't fit before, but I like it more the way it does, although the tension or some humbleness is ....disturbing.
But also the folk albums of Vintersorg had a big emotional tension in them. Now it feels more mathematical.

Overlord Purple Rainbow said:
Oh, don't worry.

As soon as it comes in my sight, I will grab it without thinking.

Although I might pick up that two-for-one special on www.amazon.com since I can get COSMIC GENESIS and ODEMARKEN'S SON in one shot.

Good choice. Odemarken's Son is better than Till Fjälls imho - well, except for the first track of OS, it somehow bothers me. Seems to have a bubbly, holding-hands-around-the-campfire singalong essence to it that rivals many anime theme songs. I like (probably wrong spelling) Under Norrskenets Fallande Ljusspel a lot though. :)

I still don't like VFTSG. It just doesn't seem to hold together well as an album. I thought The Focusing Blur was going to be the same, but I was wrong. On my first listen to TFB, I thought it was horrible and even worse than VFTSG. On my second listen, I just stood in awe. I don't know what it was, but it really clicked with me on the second listen. It's such a great album and I appreciate it more and more everyday.

Overlord Purple Rainbow said:
By the way...after all this time I'm still not sure about the pronunciation of Vintersorg.

I have been pronouncing it the way it's spelled...

Vihn-terr-sohrg

Like 'Winter' and like 'cord,' but with a 'g' at the end...
The G is pronounced like a J or an I. You can listen to Asatider or Ödemarkens Son. He sings "Vintersorg" in those songs.