A little help needed setting up mic preamp to comp

chief

New Metal Member
Apr 10, 2005
Hey guys,

Just now I am using a pod to get all my guitar tones but am going to ditch it to try my hand out with a real amp.
I am thinking of going with the TL audio 5051 mic pre and just want to know beforehand what type of connections I am going to need to get this setup right.
Just now I am runnig a pc setup with nuendo 2 as my DAW, and I have a audiophile 24/96 sound card.

Any help would be great!!

Well, i never used a pre on my comp, but would'nt it pretty much be the same setup with your POD you have now?

Just think the POD away, and replace it with teh pre-amp, i have never tried this, but i think it could work no?

Basically all you need is some way to get the 1/4 inch or XLR output of the preamp into your computer. I'll be the first to recommend a firewire interface, but if it's not in the cards, then I suppose you could make due with a consumer soundcard like that, although the converters are going to suck and you'll probably run into various buffer and sound issues with the DAW.

Cheers for the reply!!

So what firewire interface would you recommend??

How many channels do you want to have available at once? Available bit/khz? Rackmount or desktop unit? Pre's built-in or just an interface? Pro quality or home recording demo quality? Lots of options out there man, it helps to be a little specific. Also, price range?

~006

A little more specific eeeh.

Well to be honest I dont have a clue what a firewire interface does or if I need it, I just want to get as much info as possible so i can cover all my bases . As I have said I am used to tracking with a pod so this is really new territory for me.

For a pre i was thinking along the lines of the TL audio 5051 as I have heard good results with the TL stuff.
If I go down the firewire route then I will just want the interface as the tl covers the rest, I dont mind if it is rack or not. I am looking to get pretty good results so hit me with some options...........:kickass:

With an interface, you can have anywhere from 1 to like 127 (most I've ever seen personally) tracks recording simultaneously. In other words, 127 different things mic'ed up and being recorded live, all at once.

I think you should go for something like a Delta 1010LT and run the output of the TLA into that. Because, you can run the output of the TLA pre into a regular 'ol soundcard, but the analog to digital conversion is crap, even on Audigy 2 cards which for some reason people think are amazing sound cards...no. Basically you would have the 1010LT to get the audio signal from the TLA into your comp, and it would show up in whatever host you use.

That's my idea. I'm sure there are others. The 1010LT isn't FireWire though, it's PCI, so you'd have to have a free PCI slot in your PC/Mac to install it. If you want FireWire, I'm not too knowledgable on the smaller format interfaces (like 2-4 channel ones) so I'm not much help there. But if you want a badass setup, check out RME's FireWire interfaces, or MOTU. All good stuff.

~006