a little simple question to andy

djairouks

guitarus rex
Jan 24, 2006
Switzerland valley of the wolves
i'm going to try the clean boost thingy today with my recto and i saw i could
do it with my eq flat just to boost the signal

now here's my question do you also do that with active pickups like the emg 81 because the output level of my passive pickups is as hot as the 81's

djairouks said:
i'm going to try the clean boost thingy today with my recto and i saw i could
do it with my eq flat just to boost the signal

now here's my question do you also do that with active pickups like the emg 81 because the output level of my passive pickups is as hot as the 81's

what a lot of people don't seem to realise about using the tubescreamer is that it doesn't really boost the signal going into the amp, if anything i think the signal becomes lower, but it's a much more defined signal, and thus it tightens up the low end of many amps.

cobhc said:
what a lot of people don't seem to realise about using the tubescreamer is that it doesn't really boost the signal going into the amp, if anything i think the signal becomes lower, but it's a much more defined signal, and thus it tightens up the low end of many amps.
No man, tubescreamer was invented back in those days when a tube amp like a plexi couldn't distort that much.
An "overdrive" is a booster, it overloads the preamp section so you got that gainy sound. On the other hand a "distortion" pedal doesn't overload the preamp section, the signal going from the pedal into the preamp is already distorted.
Here a lot of us use that tool just for a "clean boost", because with modern amps you don't need a tubescreamer for its orginal purpose: "overloading the preamp section to have more gain".
If I set on my maxonod9 everything flat the sound is not lower, it's really the opposite, I got more gain so I have to lower the gain on the pedal to have the typical clean boost.

Maurizio

edit: sorry fullmetalspeedo is right about "clean boost"

well yes it was originally used to overdrive amps, but as far as i know andy use's it to simply tighten up the low end. And i've found using andy's ts-9 settings from ilovemetal.co.uk it seems to output lower gain to the amp than when it's turned off.

I don't get why these particular questions have to be addressed directly to Andy. The poor dude must get at least 5 'question for andy' threads a day, where a ton of them can be answered quite easily by any regular member of the forum.

About the TS providing lower gain into the amp... I find that quite odd. I always thought the idea for using the TS on modern high-gain amps was to hit the preamp section harder, with more level, so that it would square off even more and provide a tighter sound than what you'd get from the amp alone. Useful in controlling the boomyness from a rectifier etc.

Boosting clean signal is misleading. What a overdrive does is boost the midrange frequencies of your signal into the amp. If you were to use an equalizer, you want to do just that. Make an upside-down "v" with the knobs on the eq. dont raise the signal level on the eq, that just adds mud to the tone.

FULLMETALSPEEDO said:
Boosting clean signal is misleading. What a overdrive does is boost the midrange frequencies of your signal into the amp. If you were to use an equalizer, you want to do just that. Make an upside-down "v" with the knobs on the eq. dont raise the signal level on the eq, that just adds mud to the tone.

Yes more mids, no pedals can make a clean boost. Even a flat eq pedal with level set to +2/+3db can colour the sound of the amp.......
....clean boost means nothing!!!

cobhc said:
well yes it was originally used to overdrive amps, but as far as i know andy use's it to simply tighten up the low end. And i've found using andy's ts-9 settings from ilovemetal.co.uk it seems to output lower gain to the amp than when it's turned off.

thats' strange cobhc, that's the same setting I used (the one on ilovemetal.co.uk) but I get more gain.
Have you checked the batteries?

Maurizio