A little worried here...

Tubbs

Bi-weekly top album:
Nov 5, 2005
Sanford, Maine
decayingcontinuum.bandcamp.com
Hey some of you know me as a somewhat fat guitarist. I would say my level of guitar playing is intermediate. Regardless, I used to be able to record guitar on my computer with a really bad crackling sound. I am absolutely sure its the cords... There is a 1/8 and 1/4 cord, the 1/4 goes from the guitar to an fx pedal, and the 1/8 goes from the pedal to the line in input. I don't have a good sound card (1/8 plugs no 1/4) and I'm wondering, are the cords the reason for the terrible crackling, the fx pedal, or is it the card? I'm gonna go get some 35$ cables soon because I am tired of noise. Any suggestions? (maybe I can fix it? i doubt it, though.)

FX Pedal - ZOOM 505II (I got it wicked cheap)
Sound card - Sound Blaster PCI512

There.

I doubt it. The only reason that I can think of for it sounding all crackly is a bad cable. That usually fucks alot of shit up.

Thanks for the replies! I plan on getting a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (or 4) soon too, when I get the money (I know it's not much). I'm very glad to know everyone thinks it's the cable, I'm gonna go get some gold plated expensive-ass ones soon, probably 2 of them, 35$ each. Yep.... When I'm finished I'll probably record a song (WITHOUT crackling) and put it somewhere on the net. I'll get details soon. Finally, you can all hear the somewhat fat guitarist! (the other, not nearly as good as MJR but better than many others one)

I think the audio in ports on most soundcards are low impedance, so when you hook up your high impedance guitar gear it will be lossy. It still works though cos I've done it, but if you're wondering why its quiet then thats probably the reason. I have a zoom pedal as well (except mine is the 707) and it kinda works ok, but distortion is REALLY crap and fuzzy.

RobbM said:
then get a job...I see used 2.0's all the time on da bay for like 100 bucks...
I'd expect a response like that... and you are definitely right. Although, I could go the cheap way and ask for money from my family... yeah I'm somewhat fat and one side effect to that is being somewhat lazy (but not extraordinarily lazy, because I'd have to be extraordinarily fat)

Tubbs Mcgee said:
LMAO I love when people make fun of my weight (not being sarcastic, I thrive on it) I prefer Burger King...

well, that and the fact that I can, since im fat too....(you know, like its cool when a black guy calls another black guy the "N" word..)