A lot of recording - Help choose pickups

RandomOne

Dec 28, 2010
nowhere
Hello guys,

well since i opened my studio i got lots of bands to record.
i really was thinking it will be fun but you know finally it's tiring and there's a lot of problems.

Anyway I've got a nice modern punk band to record with 100% real drums (yeahhh first time recording real drums instead of programming)....
We're working on the full length album, trying to find the best possible sound.

The guitarist has an unknown brand basswood guitar w/ original floyd rose.
we are thinking to change the pickups. but what pickups would you suggest for modern punk?

when the album come out i will post some songs to hear....

Seymour Duncan makes some nice rock pickups, ranging from classic rock, to rock/metal pickups.

I hear good things about DiMarzio pups too.

If you want really heavy sounding pups, EMG's are nice too.

Really, you can't go wrong when upgrading from Epiphone pups.

I suggest you get a high gain pickup and use your amp settings to control the output and gain. That way, you can get a large variety of sounds. Its easier to turn the gain down than up past max.

Hello, JB I read isn't a good match with basswood and tremolo guitars and we wouldn't like to put active pups.

We made some scratch tracks, I'm mixing the drums and they sound quite well.

Please. Pleaase. Don't destroy the sound with EMGs. You need to buy Bill Lawrence pickups. Period.
;-)
Regards

+1

I'm not here to push EMGs, but they aren't the sterile/heartless pickups that many people claim them to be. They work, they do their job, and there is a reason why they are used widely: they're good.

OP: After following some of your other threads like the D-Sonic thread and commenting a few times I don't feel as if any input I give you will be considered; I hope you do though.

However, I think that the best options would be:

1. Some active pickups to try and compensate for the crappy quality of the wood/construction of the unknown brand guitar (by the way you described it I assume it's some ripoff). EMGs/Seymour Duncan Blackouts.

2. A new guitar. Srsly. You can't polish a turd (IE: a good pickup will not affect a crappy guitar's tone in the same way it would in a better guitar). Good pickups in a sexy guitar = sexy tone. Much easier to work with.

It's a good investment to have a solid guitar and bass for use in the studio for when bands bring in crappy instruments. If you don't have good source tracks to begin with then you are just crippling yourself and dooming yourself to hours and hours of fruitless work.

I think a Dimarzio Super Distortion would be a good place to start. Need to know what you and the guitarist don't like about the current pickups to make a better suggestion.