A Message To Warrel

< hasn't listened to the CD yet

I'll burn it for the drive to Chicago. It really does shit all over everything since DNB. If it wasn't for this board I'd want Warrel to quit Nevermore and focus on this full time.

But hey, that's what happens when he works with songwriters as opposed to musicians.

Uneasy_Conscience said:
the record is very very good but nevermore is far superior. leave nevermore as it is. i dont understand why people complain about Jeff's "guitar wankage" (is there even such a thing?), but at the same time complain about dead heart in a dead world. jeff watering down his playing is what you ended up with in dead heart. so you cant have it both ways. it's a great album, which is besides the point. the point is keep nevermore as it is - an ass kicking heavy metal band with almost unparalleled musicianship in their field. leave the watered down more simplistic stuff to side projects - exactly what this album is. great record like i said, not near nevermore though.

I can understand the complaints about the wankage, but for the most part I don't mind it. There's also a difference between "watering down" and what happened with Dead Heart. There are only a select few songs on that album that I really like and I do consider them to be watered down. Other songs like Narcosynthesis and Evolution 169 on the other hand are far beyond being called watered down. To me a lot of that album seems like half a song and then those riffs thrown around again carelessly to finish the song. Lyricially I think it is strong but musically it isn't consistent at all. Warrel's album could be called "watered down" by some because of the lack of technicality for technicality's sake. I see absolutely no reason to complain about that like some people seem to be doing.

I'm one of the DHIADW lovers. That being said, TGE is my favorite (yes, moreso than DNB). As far as watering down goes, I can see where parts of Dead Heart and the new solo album could be viewed as watered down. But I like to give the artist the benefit of the doubt - maybe jeff was out of ideas at the time, or under pressure for a deadline, or had personal influences hindering him...

I dislike the term watered down, because to me it sounds like an accusation that the artist just gave up and didn't care. I may misconstrue the meaning, but that's my two cents. shutting up now.

I like dissonance in my metal. Which is why I like the raw and dark EoR, dNb, PoE, etc. and can't stand the shiny gleaming globs of Sneap Sauce&#8482; marinated upon TGE (I digg Dead Heart just cause the songs are so damn good).

Haven't heard Warrel's record. It's not out.

Indeed. That whore is making sure when the record is out, the only way you can listen to it (legally) is to buy it.

The bastard.