A Mic for vocals and Acoustic guitar

iceman666

Aug 8, 2012
Im slowly launching my studio! Im ready to buy a decent mic now. My budget is around 200$. So can you guys recommend a microphone which will get me nice vocal outputs and also be worth using when recording an acoustic guitar?

Blue Spark. Killer mic for the price.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Condenser-Microphone-Cardioid/dp/B004BR20OM[/ame]

The offer looks pretty damn awesome.Im gonna go check its reviews! Till then more suggestions would be great :)

SM7B is pretty much unbeatable for vocals. It's a bit out of your price range new ($349) but you could find one used for about $250 or so used.

Always wanted an SM7. See them used all the time for vocals. Just curious though, the OP said vocals and acoustic. Is this mic just as good for acoustic guitar as well?

I think im gonna get a dynamic. Cause i cant bear the expenses of a Mic pre amp plus a condenser!

I think im gonna get a dynamic. Cause i cant bear the expenses of a Mic pre amp plus a condenser!

Errr... How do you plan on using the dynamic, without a preamp?

FWIW, you're looking at a larger cost for a pre for the dynamic (assuming you go for the SM7b), because you're more limited to pres that have a ton of gain on them (as the SM7b is a very gain hungry mic). Not to mention, your acoustic recordings are going to lack the sparkly highs and definition you hear on professional releases. Instead, they might sound warmer, but more stuffy and will require much, much more post-processing.

For a single mic to record both vocals and acoustic, a condenser should be the only option.

I started a thread a few days ago because I needed advices on good mics to record acoustic guitars at about 200€. The AT4033 seems to be great on these and also on vocals. You can get one used in your price range.

I'll say it again, you are not going to find a better mic for both vox and AG then the Blue Spark for under 200 bucks. Nice top end, can take screaming and singing, even sounds pretty good on a cabinet. Very full-bodied mic that sounds more like something in the $500 to $600 range. I actually found some shady place advertising them for $149.00 and musicians friend did a price match. Liked it so much I bought a back-up.

I also have a SM-7b but don't care for it on acoustic.

My interface (line 6 Ux2) has pre amp models. I never got a chance to try them as i do not have any mic.
I saw a thread where a lot of people said that it is not necessary for dynamics to go through a pre amps but its better to have a pre amp. I might be wrong idk much about mics.
I have the pre amp models on my interface but i somehow get the impression that they suck!What if i try a Shure sm 57 for now. Im really low on money atm :p

I'd do a lot more reading before spending cash. A 57 is versatile, but I'm not sure how many people would use it to record acoustic guitars?

I'd do a lot more reading before spending cash. A 57 is versatile, but I'm not sure how many people would use it to record acoustic guitars?
What about Ux2 Pre amps? Are they any good?I just want enough to record some local bands till i gather some money and buy smth permanent! And a separate preamp seems like a huge expense right now.

I'll say it again, you are not going to find a better mic for both vox and AG then the Blue Spark for under 200 bucks. Nice top end, can take screaming and singing, even sounds pretty good on a cabinet. Very full-bodied mic that sounds more like something in the $500 to $600 range. I actually found some shady place advertising them for $149.00 and musicians friend did a price match. Liked it so much I bought a back-up.

I also have a SM-7b but don't care for it on acoustic.

ive had great results with acoustic guitar with a KAM C3 , does a decent job for vox too and pretty damn good on overheads..