mic for female vocals

sash poask

Mar 24, 2008
right, so its time to admit it....i do not own a single mic. :( ive just been recording guitars with my mackie onyx blaa blaaa

anyway next month im gonna get my first mic...at the moment i think im going to be primarily recording female vocals

so any recommendations?

budget: student lol, so quite cheap

Oog, tough call - dynamics can work for male vocals, but for female I'd be much happier with some sort of condenser, even a cheap one; I think I'd go for an Audio Technica AT3035, may be a bit of a stretch budget-wise but anything cheaper is probably gonna sound harsh! (most cheap condensers do)

EDIT: Looks like it's called the AT2035 now; also, check out the AKG Perception 200 (now called 220, but my housemate has a 200 that sounds decent, I'll try to record some clips with it tomorrow)

new old stock at3035s go on ebay all day for 100bucks grab one i like it alot, Also joeymusicguy used to use one for his vocals check out his old recordings for samples

well, i've never recorded fem vox before, so i'm not sure it would work. but i used the Behringer b-1 for about a year and was pleased with it. i mean for $100, i def got my moneys worth from it! had some decent warmth to it.

caveat: i wasnt doing deathvox/cookie monster vocals though. not sure how it'd stand up to that. but for regular singing and aggressive rock vox it was decent.

new old stock at3035s go on ebay all day for 100bucks grab one i like it alot, Also joeymusicguy used to use one for his vocals check out his old recordings for samples

Hmm, for that price, that'd definitely be my vote, no contest!

yeh originally i was going for sm57....but been told condenser will sound better for clean vocals

AT2035 looks good, and im a fan of joeys stuff, you know what albums he used it on?

stupid exchange rate though :( they are going for £130 here.....might have to bite the bullet though

thanks guys