Mic for vocals

Benalthel

Jul 4, 2011
Malmö, Sweden
www.facebook.com
Hey all, I wanted to ask about what kinda mic you'd recommend for me to get. I'm building a little home recording studio, mostly to record myself/my band but maybe later expand it.

Anyhow, I of course need to get a decently good mic for vocals. We will mostly record growls (we play melodeath and have both high and low growling) but sometimes clean vocals too, but not nearly as much. I'm looking at a budget of maybe 3-400$, if that can get me something reasonably good. I don't have much experience with vocals stuff seeing as I'm myself mostly a guitarist, so any recommendations and help would be much appreciated!

I'm already getting two for micing my amp! :D So is it actually good for recording the vocals too? In that case awesome, saves me a bunch of money that I can get other stuff for.

Just want to make sure (a lot of people get it confused) that I'm talking about an SM-7, not an SM-57.

AKG C214 which is a cheaper version of the akg c414 with only cardioid polar pattern. works great for vocals, acoustic and electric guitars, overheads, strings...

To be honest you can get good vocal tracks out of a SM57. SM7B is nice for letting the singer grab the mic and really get into the performance though.

Quick question, what interface are you using and how loud are your vocals? A quiet screamer using a SM7B with a not so great preamp might lead to problems with a high noise floor.