Recording acoustic guitar

Cacoph0ny

Feb 23, 2008
first of all would this work: get an xlr to 3/4" (or whatever a guitar cable is) adapter and plug the microphone into my PODxt and basically use it as a preamp?

Also, what is a good mic for recording acoustic guitar? Would an SM57 be any good? It'd be nice if it worked well for amps too.

For acoustic instruments it's much more suitable to record with condenser microphones. For vocal and acoustic guitar recordings I use a rode nt1-a which is cheap and does a pretty decent job IMO. Some people say they're crap and other that it's the best for the price, personally I don't have any complaints.

The NT1-A is a great mic indeed, it's a bit on the bright side, which can be a bit much, but I've had great experiences with it. That said, the Studio Projects C1 is in the same range, and I've heard better things overall about it...

Cascade fathead ribbon; awesome on acoustics (very natural sounding), killer on guitar cabs. Takes EQ very well. I can't wait to buy a pair once I start upgrading my studio.

I think a well placed 57 can sound killer on acoustic- funnily enough on delicate picked parts i find more so than strummed bits, they kind of expose the mics weaker aspects.

Ribon mics are nice on acoustics but right now i'm finding then a tad too noisy for quiet stuff and i don't really love how it sounds on stummed stuff, i use a cheap t bone rb 100 though and haven't gotten to use any more expensive ones, in your case i woudn't recommend them with that pre amp your using

I think a well placed 57 can sound killer on acoustic- funnily enough on delicate picked parts i find more so than strummed bits, they kind of expose the mics weaker aspects.

Ribon mics are nice on acoustics but right now i'm finding then a tad too noisy for quiet stuff and i don't really love how it sounds on stummed stuff, i use a cheap t bone rb 100 though and haven't gotten to use any more expensive ones, in your case i woudn't recommend them with that pre amp your using

Yes, I should probably add a caveat that you need a nice, LOUD, clean preamp for Ribbons.

I use a Rode M3 and a Studio Projects B1 to mic my acoustic. The M3 is a small diaphragm condenser that I use to mic close to the strings (about 12th fret). I then use the B1 a little further back for some room ambience. Obviously set them up to avoid phase issues. Get a decent sound then. In response to some other people's responses - it helps to read the context of the question once in a while. He's asking about micing an acoustic so the chances of him having API or Neve preamps are slim. Those of you who do this in professional studios, remember that bedroom hobbyists exist here too!

first of all would this work: get an xlr to 3/4" (or whatever a guitar cable is) adapter and plug the microphone into my PODxt and basically use it as a preamp?

Also, what is a good mic for recording acoustic guitar? Would an SM57 be any good? It'd be nice if it worked well for amps too.

This would work but its probably not the most ideal solution.
As far as mic's go a 57 can work on acoustic guitars, but its not the most ideal candidate. Most people tend to go for a condenser or ribbon microphone. Though without a nice preamp you'd be best to give the ribbon a miss. Also if you're using a POD as a preamp then you're going to have to find a condenser that can use a battery to power it, as the POD wont supply phantom power that condenser mic's need. A Rode M3 should do you pretty well for acoustic guitar and guitar amps. Can be battery powered. Just make sure to switch in the 20dB pad if you're close mic'ing a loud amp.

I use a Rode M3 and a Studio Projects B1 to mic my acoustic. The M3 is a small diaphragm condenser that I use to mic close to the strings (about 12th fret). I then use the B1 a little further back for some room ambience. Obviously set them up to avoid phase issues. Get a decent sound then. In response to some other people's responses - it helps to read the context of the question once in a while. He's asking about micing an acoustic so the chances of him having API or Neve preamps are slim. Those of you who do this in professional studios, remember that bedroom hobbyists exist here too!

well, you're right, I didn't actually reply to the OP's post but just typed my post in w/o reading much more but the topic's headline, sorry ;)

a sm57 will work quite well, I'd prefer a low-priced ribbon though (as gorath suggested).
problem with the ribbons is..they need some gain so a good preamp is inevitable.
I'd avoid the pod though, get a cheap but good preamp and try it with you sm57s.

I can highly recommend the SPL Goldmike...two really nice pres for less than 400€.

I've done entire albums with that preamp alone and it sounds really good

one thing you'll want to remember with the ribbons is that most are fig-8 pattern, and can sound really crap if you don't have a good room

damn lasse and his cardioid M160!