Acoustic, or electro-acoustic guitar?

AD Chaos

MGTOW
Aug 3, 2009
Hey everyone,

I've been considering getting me an acoustic guitar for quite some time, but I'm torn in between getting the acoustic model, or the one with a piezo (which costs 100 bucks more). I've been hearing recordings of piezos and soundhole pickups on YT, but having a 58 pointed straight into the hole seems to beat them all every time, for recording a natural, big organic sound.

Do you guys who have recorded acoustics have some advice, should I pony up the extra hundred for the included piezo anyway, or just go with the acoustic-only model? I guess I can always purchase a microphone separately, though I'd be very weary if the mic somehow requires me to modify the guitar (drill any hole).

Do you have any positive experience with recording an acoustic through a direct signal? Is there a special pickup (or also, a mic besides the 58) for acoustics worth checking out? I've read some condensers (don't know which) can be stellar in this case.

Thanks much for all your opinions.

Last edited:
If your concern is having a good sounding recording then there's not really a question about it, microphone all the way. Electo-acoustic guitars are more of a convenience thing, or for live use. You can still get some interesting sounds and textures, though, so it's nice to have the option I guess.

Record acoustic guitar with a mic unless you're specifically going for that plinky, fake piezo sound. Things like the Fishman Aura stomp boxes help, but they're still not as good as using a mic.

For an aftermarket pickup that sounds much better, check out the K&K Pure Western Mini.

I wouldn't go with a pickup. I HATE the sound of them. In the studio you'll be micing it with an array of whatever mics are available, and live, an acoustic mic'd with a 57 or 58 kills the piezo sound. If Gillian Welch and David Rawlings just mic their acoustics with a 57 live, you should too.

i recently had a recording of a higher-end Taylor (3k price range) with some fancy new pickup system. That was fine, add some room reverb and you´re good to go. Other than that, mics all the way.
I prefer not to use a 57 (or 58, for that matter) on anything acoustic. With a set of PR20 or 22, I would do a record though :)

SDCs or LDCs, depending on the sound your after. As a record a lot of acoustic guitar centered songs, I tend to use LDCs that gives me a tad more neutrality and low end extension.
I never got good results miking the sound hole. For a single mic configuration, 15-30cm pointed at around the 12th it my way to go

Reactions: rapucore
Depends on the guitar and the player, but usually I mic an acoustic guitar with a KM84, U67, U47 or a Bock 251. Whatever position sounds good with the guitar, but usually close to the 12th fret around 6-12 inches away. Better players will do well with a closer mic placement.

If you don't have $25,000 worth of vintage neumanns then the Oktava Mc012's work well. Really any good sdc or ldc. They capture a more nuanced high end than just a 57.

I sometimes use the piezzo sound mixed to the mic on solos. It adds a cutting attack and midrange to the sound. If you use too much of the piezzo on the mix, it tends to sound "fake" and harsh.