Acoustic Guitar Mic Recommendations

rlcramer

Tone is not in MY fingers
Apr 16, 2008
I'm going to start recording a new song that has some acoustic guitar parts in it. I was curious to see what most of you guys use for mic'ing your acoustics? LDC's, SDC's? And can you recommend any particular brands? I've only owned Rode condensers in the past (which I've been pretty happy with), but I don't have much experience with other mics to know if there is anything better out there. My budget is around $500, and I'm trying to figure out if I want a stereo pair of sdc's, or should I just go for a single ldc?

Opinions? Ideas?

Bobby

when it comes to acoustic guitar micing i prefer a very close mic position.
aim at the 12th fret, that's a good point to start at.
i prefer a single LDC (brauner AE in my case, just love it for acoustic instruments)
but i also got good results with a RODE NT-5.
it's a really nice sounding and financeable SDC.
it's sold as a pair also. the oktava MK012 are also very
popular in the low-mid price range.

in general the quality of the guitar is much more important than the mic.
if the guitar sucks, the bes tmic won't bring it.
USE NEW STRINGS!
if the room sounds shitty, try not to capture it!;)

cheers
S.

PS:
i know you just asked for a mic and not how to record acoustic guitar.
i hope you don't mind i wrote down a few tips!:)

LDC's tend to be more flattering and SDC's tend to be more accurate. So if you're guitar is awesome then go for SDC's, if your guitar is not so good then it'd maybe be best to go for LDC's.

I'd definately go for stereo, even if it's just a coincident pair (I like it where the neck meets the body) it'll give the guitar some spread. Though if the acoustic is going into a busy rock mix then mono might be better so that you can just pan it where you like.

I use a M/S set up using two At4050 in the room distance varies, depending on what i want from it, how that guitar sings in the room, etc (ldc)
A C414 around the 12th fret, depend on the track if it a slow emotional track i'll spot it and it probably ends up facing sightly down to try and get a deeper tone, wereas an upbeat song i will often try and get a bright tone. (ldc)
Then i use a se300b on the lower body to the warmth and body of the guitar. (sdc)

This is at college were we have nice rooms and equipment, if i was doing it at home on your budget id forget about room mics unless i already had some condensers then id get a LDC for the 12th fret and a SDC for the body. Personal choice on mics.

We just did an acoustic mic shootout in the recording class I taught last fall.

The favorite mics were:
Oktava MK012
Beyerdynamic MC930
Beyerdynamic M160
AKG C414 BULS
Lawson Tube 47

Two small condensers, a ribbon, a solid state LDC, and a tube LDC. So much for patterns.

I think with acoustics it's more important to have a nice sounding guitar and to take the time to position the mic to find the sweet spot. I like to put on some headphones and move the mic around until I find the best possible position, and then check it in the mix and work from there.

I use my AT4060 on acoustics, love it. I also highly recommend Dean Markley Alchemy strings for recording, they are by far the most amazing sounding acoustic strings out there. Expensive, but if you're committing a part to a final album, do it.

PS - cut your acoustics with some light compression (2:1 or 4:1) going in if they're going to be used in the context of heavy music.

Thanks guys for all the recommendations so far. I actually had an AT4050 a while back that I really loved (but completely forgot about due to my short term memory loss issues...). I may go with something like a 4040 this time, or possibly a lower-end AKG. I'm REALLY trying to keep it under $500. If I do decide to blow the wad, I'll probably go with a Neumann tlm, or something like that, but I'm trying to resist, seeing as I rarely record acoustics.

Dude, what's the SE Titan like on shit like overheads, vocals and amps? There's some cracking deals on them at the mo and I've been thinking about picking up a pair.

its one of the darkest mics ive ever used. which means it either sounds great.... or shit.
great on room mics and bass and Johnny cash and anything with low end

I got good results with a CAD e300 (fig 8) and a Rode NT-5 (cardioid) in a M/S Setup... I usually start with placement right between 12th fret and sound hole. Then (depending on how bright or bassy the particular guitar is) I move more towards 12th fret or hole till i like it.