A Mic Question

Exsanguis

Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
I'm curious about the difference between the SM57 and SM58. Which situation would be better: using an SM58 for vocals and snare, or an SM57 for vocals and snare? Let's just say I have an extremely low budget that requires me to share mics such as this type of situation.

Exsanguis said:
I'm curious about the difference between the SM57 and SM58. Which situation would be better: using an SM58 for vocals and snare, or an SM57 for vocals and snare? Let's just say I have an extremely low budget that requires me to share mics such as this type of situation.

The SM58 is known as the live vocal mic of choice and the SM57 is used as the studio swiss army knife mic. THey are both the same mic. The only difference is the built in windscreen on the SM58. No other differences.

mrjumping said:
The SM58 is known as the live vocal mic of choice and the SM57 is used as the studio swiss army knife mic. THey are both the same mic. The only difference is the built in windscreen on the SM58. No other differences.

I was under the impression that the 57 gives less low end response when you get close to it than the 58. Proximity effect and all that malarky.

But yeah, they sound pretty damned similar.

AxeSlash said:
I was under the impression that the 57 gives less low end response when you get close to it than the 58. Proximity effect and all that malarky.

But yeah, they sound pretty damned similar.

Seriously, they're the same mic.

They are not at all the same mic. The 58 is omnidirectional, the 57 is cardioid. They also have extremely different frequency responces. The 57 is more versitile. You don't want to use the 58 on too much other than a voice. The 57 is good drum (all drums) and guitar mic. Robert Plant sang through nothing but an SM57. Get more of the 57s, and one 58 for vocals. But you might be interested in some of the cheaper mics out of china, like the ones that Marshall (Mogami) makes.

Kevin Kitchel said:
They are not at all the same mic. The 58 is omnidirectional, the 57 is cardioid. They also have extremely different frequency responces. The 57 is more versitile. You don't want to use the 58 on too much other than a voice. The 57 is good drum (all drums) and guitar mic. Robert Plant sang through nothing but an SM57. Get more of the 57s, and one 58 for vocals. But you might be interested in some of the cheaper mics out of china, like the ones that Marshall (Mogami) makes.

What the hell??????? The 58 is not an omni it is unidirectional as for frequency response they are virtually the same if you believe the graphs that shure has on their site.

Before you attempt to write back saying im wrong get your fact straight www.shure.com

After checking the shure site, I'm left scratching my head. Looking at the spec sheet it looks like a sub-cardioid, not an omni at all. Its been my experience that its not very directional. I was wrong in calling the 58 an omni, but I know I'm not wrong about the applications man. I could get my facts right all day long, but in the end, its like Andy says, its just a mic. They use different capsules, and sound totally different, and if you can get your snare to sound sweet with a 58 and a Mackie, or a 57 and an API 312 in the end it doesn't matter.

The 57 and 58 use exactly the same capsule. The difference in freq response is due to the different grill styles causing different reflection and coloration. It's a matter of taste.

Kevin Kitchel said:
After checking the shure site, I'm left scratching my head. Looking at the spec sheet it looks like a sub-cardioid, not an omni at all. Its been my experience that its not very directional. I was wrong in calling the 58 an omni, but I know I'm not wrong about the applications man. I could get my facts right all day long, but in the end, its like Andy says, its just a mic. They use different capsules, and sound totally different, and if you can get your snare to sound sweet with a 58 and a Mackie, or a 57 and an API 312 in the end it doesn't matter.

True

I guess different mics are slightly more cardiod than others and I'd say the capsule on the 58 would have a great deal to do with that. I dont have a great deal of experience with the 58s even tho the vocalist in my band uses one I've never actually played around with it cos when it comes to micing a snare or guitar cab i use a 57 and my 57s are a bit better looked after than my vocalists mic.

Didnt mean to flame you dude.

To get back to answering the original question, from the Shure knowledge base:
It is true the SM57 and SM58 microphones are based on the same cartridge design. The main difference between them is in the grille design. The SM58 was designed for vocal application and it uses a separate grille with a very effective pop filter. The SM57 was designed as an instrument microphone where smaller grille size is preferred. In this application the pop and wind are not usually a concern. The SM57 uses an integral resonator/grille assembly, where grille is actually a part of the cartridge. These two grille designs place the diaphragm of the microphones in a different acoustical environment. First of all, the distance from the top of the grille to the diaphragm is significantly shorter on the SM57 compared to that of the SM58. This allows for closer sound pickup with even more pronounced proximity effect. Secondly, a different resonator/grille assembly design of the SM57 is responsible for its slightly higher output above 5 kHz.