A n00b question about FL Studio 9...

Jun 25, 2008
I recently installed FL Studio 9 on my laptop to start producing some industrial/electronic/metal stuff for my project, but I'm having a lot of pops and clicks when fiddling with the synth and whatnot.

It's only happening when making/listening in the program, and doesn't happen anywhere else (MP3's/DVD's/the same track exported as a .WAV, anything), and it happens regardless of which speakers i use (the in-built Harman Kardon speakers, Monitors, headphones and so on).

I'm assuming it's something to do with the program (drivers or some such shit), but i'm a complete n00b with the physical software side of things, hence the question. So, any help is VERY much appreciated.

Thanks guys, hope christmas was good :kickass:

I'm pretty sure Asio4all went on at the same time as the program :lol: I'll double check that though, thanks!

I feel like a bit of a twat lol...

try changing the no of samples till you get a decent balance between latency and pop/clicks, what specs are you're computers?

the computer is a Toshiba Qosmio w. 2.6GHz Intel Core i7 and 6gb DDR3 ram. I actually just found the sampling thing before, and it seems to be helping :) With the latency, when the sample rate is higher, is the latency in the recording as well, or only in the making (push button -> delay -> then sound)? Cos if it's only in hte making, I should be able to get away with pushing the sample rate right up seeing as how 99% of what i'm doing is soft-synth/percussion anyway.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated dude :)

Leave the sample rate at 44.1kHz

Increase the number of samples for Buffer Size (latency) for better performance. Depending on the interface and computer you should be able to run it low, it may have defaulted to something too low.
I'd only use ASIO4ALL if you're using the internal soundcard of the PC.

Leave the sample rate at 44.1kHz

Increase the number of samples for Buffer Size (latency) for better performance. Depending on the interface and computer you should be able to run it low, it may have defaulted to something too low.
I'd only use ASIO4ALL if you're using the internal soundcard of the PC.

+1 on that - anything higher then 44.1 is pointless because you wont hear any difference.

i would agree with audiogeek in saying its your buffer size. bump it up to around 512 or a little higher if you can

also make sure your not clipping your sound card - example my mac's sound card's audio clips if i run around 3-4 compressors hard on 1 channel and really kick up the gain and it kills my mac's output completely so make sure your not over doing it with the track volume

Thanks again guys.

Ok, I had a look, and it was indeed the buffer size. I left the actual sample rate at 44.1kHz (i never actually changed that, it was a mis-wording on my part before :lol:) I don't remember what the buffer was to begin with, but the clicking doesn't seem to go away until i hit around 1700 or so, I think there's a good chance it's the computers sound card, I'm not using an external interface yet, and I don't think the PC came with a particularly good one :lol:

1700 is pretty terrible. You won't be able to record realtime audio or MIDI like that. There's something else going on because your computer should be able to handle way lower than that.

128 is good for most of my FL Projects. Back in the day 512 did the trick.

Try the various CPU options in the audio settings menu, I have all of them active here.

It sounded like you were working with an internal soundcard, that is why I suggested asio4all.
The buffer should snap onto places like 128/256/512.
For cpu usage, use "priority to background processes" in some option in windows (sorry, you'll have to look up where this option exists)

1700 is pretty terrible. You won't be able to record realtime audio or MIDI like that. There's something else going on because your computer should be able to handle way lower than that.

128 is good for most of my FL Projects. Back in the day 512 did the trick.

Try the various CPU options in the audio settings menu, I have all of them active here.

Yeah that's what I thought. I'm pretty sure it's the soundcards fault (i didn't get a better one as I always planned on buying a USB interface to use instead).

I do have a Pod X3 Live though, would that help? Also, are there any drivers for the Pods and Windows 7 yet?

It sounded like you were working with an internal soundcard, that is why I suggested asio4all.
The buffer should snap onto places like 128/256/512.
For cpu usage, use "priority to background processes" in some option in windows (sorry, you'll have to look up where this option exists)

Yup I am :lol: It's embarassing but true. I also checked about asio4all, and i already have it, it installed when FL Studio 9 did... I'm not sure how to check if it's being used or anything though, or if it just automatically gets used?

Thanks very much for the help, sorry for the toolish questions :oops:

Ok, I had a look and even reinstalled it, but it seems the laptop isn't recognising the Asio4all driver... Nothing is showing up on the desktop or in FL STudio, so I'm assuming there's something up with the install of it... Any ideas?

in the audio tab of fl, drop down menu on the top should give the option for asio4all..
if in windows7, i dunno, maybe it doesn't work ( though, it should, coz driver architecture is the same as vista i hear, and it works there)

ddnt read ur post completely..
if you have a pod, line6 beta drivers are out for w7 iirc, so use those and record into reaper if you find it easier and mix/experiment in fl if you want.. never tried pod with fl, but that should work too..

I bypassed the Asio4all and installed the Windows 7 beta drivers for my Pod X3L, and that seems to have done the trick, and I got it out of the way (been meaning to do it for a while now :lol:).

Now I just have to figure out how to stop FL Studio recording everything ELSE as well, and i'm set :) Thanks heaps guys!