Using Reaper and FL Studio together

prabblerabble

Nov 22, 2013
So for the last half year or so I've been using Superior 2.0 in FL Studio to program my drums. I mix my drums and then export my drum track as a .wav to Reaper where I record my guitars and bass, and do further mixing and mastering. I really like Reaper but in my opinion its piano roll is such a pain, which is why I prefer using FL Studio's.
I'd prefer using one DAW if possible because of flexibility and convenience but also because I feel that I lose some audio quality when exporting my drums from FL to Reaper. I could make the complete switch to FL Studio haha. I don't know if my current recording method is a standard practice so I'd love to hear feedback. Sorry for the long post but thanks!

-Prabhu

Running one DAW within another isn't very good idea. I used FL studio as Rewire plugin in adobe audition and wasn't happy with it at all. You may try though... I personally switched to FL and never looked back, but the audio recording/editing is so much of a pain in there :-/ compared to other daws.

in my opinion FL is only good at doing midi things but that it does really awesome. i just got it because of that some weeks ago. but as an audio sequencer it is awful. when you export from FL as wav at max quality it shouldn't be that bad but i would suggest that you could export the midi from FL to Reaper. so you use FL only as an external midi editor and you do not lose quality from exporting audio files. you can also stream midi data from FL to reaper to play back SD2 while editing midi data in FL, just use a virtual midi cable.

in my opinion FL is only good at doing midi things but that it does really awesome. i just got it because of that some weeks ago. but as an audio sequencer it is awful. when you export from FL as wav at max quality it shouldn't be that bad but i would suggest that you could export the midi from FL to Reaper. so you use FL only as an external midi editor and you do not lose quality from exporting audio files. you can also stream midi data from FL to reaper to play back SD2 while editing midi data in FL, just use a virtual midi cable.

^That sounds solid actually. I'm going to try that out, because I like FL Studio as a midi editor but would prefer doing all my mixing in one place (Reaper). By exporting the midi from FL Studio, is this just done by selecting "midi" instead of "wav" when going to clicking on the export function? (sorry, must be a noob question but i'm new to exporting midi :lol:) thank you for the feedback!

also to the other commenters, I've tried running FL Studio Rewire in Reaper but frankly my laptop can't handle it haha.

In the FL piano roll of the midi file go to the little left top arrow showing downwards -> file -> export as midi. that's it^^ or use copy to midi clipboard than you can paste it into reaper midi item with ctrl+v. couldn't be easier.
Rewire isn't working well for me also, but FL can also run as a vst plugin in reaper. but i didn't get midi streaming with that even it should work.

the awesomness of reaper and the shittines of flstudio will cancel out and a void will be created tearing through the very fabric of time and space.

please don't do it !

In the FL piano roll of the midi file go to the little left top arrow showing downwards -> file -> export as midi. that's it^^ or use copy to midi clipboard than you can paste it into reaper midi item with ctrl+v. couldn't be easier.
Rewire isn't working well for me also, but FL can also run as a vst plugin in reaper. but i didn't get midi streaming with that even it should work.

worked like a charm and this fulfills everything i'd need! i can write all my stuff in FL and do the specific tweaking and mixing in Reaper. sorry if this was a pretty noob question, I figured I'd get great feedback thought 'cause this site has really helped me learn a lot. thanks a bunch dude, i really appreciate it! :Spin:

I'm also FL and Reaper user.
If you want you can run FL as VSTi plugin or rewire inside reaper and use multi-out possibilities to mix withing reaper.
Haven't really tried to do this inception thingy for a while but remember I had some problems to playback FL individually when I had it rewired or as VSTi (don't remember which and if I managed to fix that).
I just F-ing love FL for midi programming and EDM producing, but it's easy to get chaotic organization, imo.
EDIT: starting to remember that I liked to use it as VSTi last time when I did it. And bellow it's mixer track you can organize through which output it will go and organize Reapers multi-tracks for it.

Yeah FL Studio is brilliant for midi, but not so much for audio. On the other hand Reaper is brilliant for audio, but not so much for midi. I think that the two should team up and give us Reaper Studio.

I'm also FL and Reaper user.
If you want you can run FL as VSTi plugin or rewire inside reaper and use multi-out possibilities to mix withing reaper.
Haven't really tried to do this inception thingy for a while but remember I had some problems to playback FL individually when I had it rewired or as VSTi (don't remember which and if I managed to fix that).
I just F-ing love FL for midi programming and EDM producing, but it's easy to get chaotic organization, imo.
EDIT: starting to remember that I liked to use it as VSTi last time when I did it. And bellow it's mixer track you can organize through which output it will go and organize Reapers multi-tracks for it.

Yeah, I've tried running FL as a VSTi within Reaper before. It's an awesome feature, but my current laptop can't really handle it and sometimes crashes when doing so. Now that I'm just exporting the midi files into Reaper and having all the drum busses there, I feel kinda embarrassed that I didn't think of that before :lol: I'm trying out Adobe Audition for audio editing too and it's surprisingly cool.