Reaper vs. Pro Tools..

theNeologist

Apr 3, 2009
im looking to start building a mini recording adventure studio type thing... my original plan was to go the Pro Tools LE route...record all instruments direct and programmed drums...so i would only need a vocal mic

i keep hearing stuff about reaper and how great it is etc... im looking to improve my sound production from what i have now (using Cool Edit, direct recording, nothing fancy at all)

is Reaper just a DAW or also an interface?

what is everyones thoughts on pro tools LE with mbox2 vs Reaper..

Reaper is a DAW (software). You'll need an interface (which is a hardware unit - either a box or rack unit) to record mics/gtrs, etc... MBox seems like a decent way to start, though your interface is one of the areas (along with monitors, mics and pre's) that you want to spend as much as you can afford to. I would without a doubt recommend Reaper. All the basics are there now that v3 is out, and for the money it can't be beat. It will work with any interface (including MBox) and narrows the learning curve a bit - it does about anything the pro DAWs do, just a bit easier for folks without years of exp. on the standard pro gear.

imo the only advantage Reaper will offer you is an interface that is not a Digi interface. If you do real studio work, I would stay away from Reaper for compatibility issues. But if you are just going to be tooling around at home, Reaper will be fine.

Although I've never personally used Reaper I keep hearing great things about it and at $60 it's a bargain! I say go for it. You can try it for 30 days anyway so you have nothing to lose.
You have to be a little more specific on your budget and what computer you have, if you want your setup to be mobile etc The more you tell us the better we can assist :)

Dude you need to do some research on here and on gear manufacter's sites on your own-
You've 3 very closely related threads within days of each other and you don't know what an interface or daw is yet. You'll be able to make a much more informed choice if you take the time to do some reading and understand the general glossary.
Sorry, I don't mean to be an ass but it had to be said- you simply abandoned you're other threads and started new ones asking essentially the exact same questions

haha..i guess youre right..didnt mean to come off that way.. i just hear one thing, then i hear someone say get this instead, etc...so im tryin to figure out what route to take

Dude you need to do some research on here and on gear manufacter's sites on your own-
You've 3 very closely related threads within days of each other and you don't know what an interface or daw is yet. You'll be able to make a much more informed choice if you take the time to do some reading and understand the general glossary.
Sorry, I don't mean to be an ass but it had to be said- you simply abandoned you're other threads and started new ones asking essentially the exact same questions

considering you said you just want to program drums and dick around, i'd highly suggest reaper and a pod X3 =] if you have little/no experience, you will be incredibly psyched. it's idiot proof and the pod X3 has mic pre's and pre-sims, so you can fake decent vocal/guitar recordings without actually having legit equipment. plug in the pod via usb and it becomes your soundcard/interface. watch some youtube videos of reaper tutorials. your first night with this setup (even with no knowledge/experience whatsoever) will be extremely epic.

I'm curious to hear some recordings that people have done with Reaper....does anyone have some recordings they could post that have been recorded using Reaper...and if so please list other equipment used in process?!

Well, umm, that's kinda like saying "I'm curious to see some papers written with OpenOffice rather than MSWord", since all Reaper is is software! (and theoretically should be totally transparent on the recording) That said, this little diddy was recorded in Reaper, FWIW! (apologies for the drums, but that's cuz I really need a new drum VSTi, it has nothing to do with the program :D)

And the equipment is in my sig!

ProTools LE with mbox2 is almost useless for anything beyond guide tracks, studio intercompatibility and editing. Reaper can do the works, albeit a lot more sluggishly. The benefit of the latter is that you're not forced into a hardware path you don't want, are only limited by your computer's power, and don't spend a ton of cash. The major drawback is that it's still new software that feels like using a toy compared to engineering on ProTools.

i've expanded my PTLE quite a bit. Cost around £500 to get it there but I doubt reaper could come anywhere near it... Go with Reaper if you're a hobbyist

i've expanded my PTLE quite a bit. Cost around £500 to get it there but I doubt reaper could come anywhere near it... Go with Reaper if you're a hobbyist

What a funny attitude... Given the choice between putting nearly $1000 into my DAW, or paying the $60 for Reaper and having $900 for preamps/plugins/mics, etc. I can't imagine that the former would be the best idea. What can Protools do that Reaper can't? ( Aside from impress clients, I guess )

What a funny attitude... Given the choice between putting nearly $1000 into my DAW, or paying the $60 for Reaper and having $900 for preamps/plugins/mics, etc. I can't imagine that the former would be the best idea. What can Protools do that Reaper can't? ( Aside from impress clients, I guess )

Other than not being a sony vegas rippoff??

Am I the only one who just cannot take Reaper seriously? I've tried to use it and just can't gel with it. And why the fuck does scrolling in the arrange window activate some kind of zoom feature? How does that make any sense at all????

Am I the only one who just cannot take Reaper seriously? I've tried to use it and just can't gel with it. And why the fuck does scrolling in the arrange window activate some kind of zoom feature? How does that make any sense at all????

a vegas quirk that was nicked