Tips on my recording

SeverOurSkies

New Metal Member
Oct 29, 2011
Hey guys! I've been looking around this forum awhile and have desperately been trying to improve my band's recordings. We're currently working on our song "Speak No Evil" and I was wondering if you could take a listen to the instrumental recording I have right now and give me any advice or improvements that can be made.

I'm using a pod x3 for the guitars, direct in to my mbox pro for bass, and drums were programmed using SD2.0. This was all done with Pro Tools 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mix has some hollowness to it, it sounds devoid of a certain frequency range in the midrange. Either you have something on the master buss that is getting rid of a certain frequency, or you are scooping all instruments of the same frequency. The performance seems strong enough for a demo though. Not bad on the whole, but the mix needs more mids.

The mix has some hollowness to it, it sounds devoid of a certain frequency range in the midrange. Either you have something on the master buss that is getting rid of a certain frequency, or you are scooping all instruments of the same frequency. The performance seems strong enough for a demo though. Not bad on the whole, but the mix needs more mids.

Do you think the problem could lie in my tone on the Pod X3? I didn't scoop any mids on the EQ'ing.

Sounds to me like more than just the guitar tone, more mix related. Drums or master buss probably.

Hmmm, I'll try some tweaking on it and see if I can make it any better. Thanks so much for the advice. I'm pretty new to recording, so as you can see I have tonsss of room for improvement.