Reaper vs. Pro Tools..

I dig your concerns about the verbose menus, but the keyboard modifiers can easily be changed. I spent an hour and tweaked it up to behave more like ProTools. It's still not there, but they definitely made it tweakable. I just wish it was good to go 'out of the box'.

I fucking love the scroll zooming, that was one of the big selling points for me! I agree about the long menus, but I don't quite see the point in bitching about them cuz once you have everything figured out it hardly matters ;)

And greyskull, WHO GIVES A SHIT IF IT'S A VEGAS RIPOFF? How does that have any effect on...anything? ;)

What a funny attitude... Given the choice between putting nearly $1000 into my DAW, or paying the $60 for Reaper and having $900 for preamps/plugins/mics, etc. I can't imagine that the former would be the best idea. What can Protools do that Reaper can't? ( Aside from impress clients, I guess )

Quoted for truth!

So far the only complaints appear to be similarity to one DAW and dissimilarity to another DAW in terms of behavior and appearance. That hasn't answered what Pro Tools can do that Reaper can't...

Or any other DAW for that matter! It's simply a matter of convenience and workflow for people (which I can agree to, at least as far as PT, but there's just no fucking way I'm going that route until I can afford HD!) Oh, and I've heard some testimonials that lots of VSTi's crashed older versions of Reaper, but don't you use like 20 instances of EWQLSO in your songs Matt?

Or any other DAW for that matter! It's simply a matter of convenience and workflow for people (which I can agree to, at least as far as PT, but there's just no fucking way I'm going that route until I can afford HD!) Oh, and I've heard some testimonials that lots of VSTi's crashed older versions of Reaper, but don't you use like 20 instances of EWQLSO in your songs Matt?

Anything more than 4-5 instances of EWQLSO's Play engine will crash Reaper. But I've heard so many bad things about PLAY that I'd rather blame that than Reaper, which otherwise has operated flawlessly.

to play/arrange midi on Reaper is like to arrange/play midi with a dildo in the ass...Stealing a certain quote haha.

I'd say if you only do audio and the only time you'll use midi if for drums, then go for reaper. But for anything a bit more complicated in MIDI, pro tools 8 seems to be a LOT better. The midi window in Reaper is ankward as hell.

to play/arrange midi on Reaper is like to arrange/play midi with a dildo in the ass...Stealing a certain quote haha.

I'd say if you only do audio and the only time you'll use midi if for drums, then go for reaper. But for anything a bit more complicated in MIDI, pro tools 8 seems to be a LOT better. The midi window in Reaper is ankward as hell.

I would have to agree...i tried keyboard midi recording with reaper and it's just like nuendo, a nightmare (and i need to be able to sequence keyboards). but as far as audio recording...I have heard some recordings done on reaper and they sound just as good as anything that can be done in pro tools.

What is bad about Reaper and MIDI keyboard recording? I've never really had a problem with that, but I honestly don't do much MIDI with Reaper at all ( 90% of the time I am writing in Guitar Pro )

well besides recording metal...I also record r&b and hip hop. I dont use sample loops, i actually play piano parts and keys. I have a hardware sequencer that i have had for about 11 years, I have tried sequencing through a daw Nuendo and Reaper and the latency and off timing is so bad i cant deal with it.

I use a M-Audio firewire 410 interface and a M-Audio midisport usb interface and i cant imagine that i can record audio ok but not midi in a daw because i have used the midi through function to go into my hardware sequencer and have no issues