Bass guitar recording tips.

lou_bass_101

New Metal Member
Jan 27, 2010
Hey! I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with any tips for getting the best sound out of my bass when recording. I'm not very experienced with recording but my band is soon to record an ep and I want the best advice I can get.

My band is a metal band and I use a musicman sub 4 bass with a boss limiter enhancer pedal. So reguarding that equipment I would like to know what my best options are, also what head/cabs I should consider hiring. And whether it's best to DI or mic or whatever.

Cheers guys!

Cheers, I have new strings prepared so no worries there, we play in drop c so I use the DR heavy gauges that Sharlee D'Angelo of arch enemy uses. I guess I will have to experiment with amp sounds, I was considering hiring a head and cab and everyone recomends ampeg so I might go for that.

DI always seemed like the best option in my opinion, I just thought it better to ask incase anyone had used a different aproach and got a better result.

To be honest, a clean DI down the centre and the free NO-AMP ampsim of the Sansamp Driver down the side of it (if you're going for a driven tone)

I wouldnt bother with the pedal, better to have a totally clean DI signal to use as a backup.

You can get really good bass tones just going direct and using plugins. But there is something inherently awesome about getting a ampeg cranked and mic'ing it.

take a good d.i
As far as amps go... Ampeg Svt classic (their solid state amps are pretty pants) or marshall VBA400 into an ampeg 4,6 or 8x10 sounds rather good.