Bass Editing - Any tips?

schismatic

Kintsugi is coming
Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, UK
I've just finished tracking bass and I am about to edit in Reaper. Can anybody provide any advice with respect to:

• Best editing techniques to use in Reaper (for tightening timing)?
  • Tips relating to getting the bass tight with the drums?
  • Editing to grid?

Thanks guys, that's helpful. Any preferences on the best way to slip edit with Reaper? I've tried it before but I'm not sure I'm doing it completely correctly. I guess there is nothing like Pro Tools beat detective available that could help?

Thanks guys, that's helpful. Any preferences on the best way to slip edit with Reaper? I've tried it before but I'm not sure I'm doing it completely correctly. I guess there is nothing like Pro Tools beat detective available that could help?

I wouldn't use beat detective on bass. I prefer to listen to it and only move sections that are really noticeably out. Move the kik track next to the bass track so you have a reference right there, then just cut on the transient nudge it so it's more in time, extend the audio back to fill the gaps and adjust the fades.

I have REAPER setup so I can hold ALT all the way through the process. ALT + mouse scroll wheel moves me forward/backward in time, ALT + S splits the item wherever I have my mouse cursor at the time, and ALT + click allows me to move shit around. Ridiculously fast and easy once you get the hang of it.

I have REAPER setup so I can hold ALT all the way through the process. ALT + mouse scroll wheel moves me forward/backward in time, ALT + S splits the item wherever I have my mouse cursor at the time, and ALT + click allows me to move shit around. Ridiculously fast and easy once you get the hang of it.

That setup sounds ideal! - Any chance you could tell me which actions I need to map to those keyboard shortcuts in Reaper?

Also, what's the general process? From what I understand, you find the transient, split it, then you need to move the transient to where you want to align it.

What I'm not clear on is what happens to the audio either side of the split. Does the audio before the split move back (therefore becoming out of time), or does it stretch to fit? What about the audio after the split - does that also stretch to fit?

I'm worried that I could make something that sounds totally unnatural, or find myself with a track that is totally out of time.

That setup sounds ideal! - Any chance you could tell me which actions I need to map to those keyboard shortcuts in Reaper?

Also, what's the general process? From what I understand, you find the transient, split it, then you need to move the transient to where you want to align it.

What I'm not clear on is what happens to the audio either side of the split. Does the audio before the split move back (therefore becoming out of time), or does it stretch to fit? What about the audio after the split - does that also stretch to fit?

I'm worried that I could make something that sounds totally unnatural, or find myself with a track that is totally out of time.

The beauty of slip editing is that you can move audio around inside it's little region. But yes, if you split an item and slip the audio, everything after the split would be off unless you create 2 splits. But I normally edit entire tracks so start from the beginning and work your way to the end. Just be sure to check with a playback now and then because I've spent like an hour already editing drums and then realize there were extra/not enough kick hits in that passage and end up with a real screwed up track. Nothing worse than having to do the work twice.

I usually make the bassguitar fit with the guitars. Its important that the bass and kick also are locked on to each other. Usually you can just move the bass transient to say the kick/grid and the crossfade it. If it is really well played you can use beatdetective without any problem.

I'll look up the actions when I get home to my music comp.

As bryan_kilco said, usually when slip editing you would do the entire track from start to finish. You start at the first transient and create the split. You can then slide the audio that lies after the split point backward/forward without altering anything before the split point. This will, of course, move things downstream as well, but again the idea is to do the whole track, so you'd just move on to the next transient and repeat the process. Ideally, if the track is played fairly decently to begin with, you never really move anything THAT much, so nothing should get thrown off too bad. I always listen periodically, though, to make sure that everything's still ok.

If you just want to edit a couple of hits/transients without altering anything else, it would be better to simply split the beginning and the end of the section you want to nudge and then slide things around within that.

Either way, you'll need some sort of reference in the same window as the audio you want to edit. Generally when I do bass, this will be the kick drum track. Of course this means you need to get the kick track/rest of the drums grooving the way you want them to before doing the bass, so if you're not happy with your drum track, fix it first. Otherwise, it's really just as simple as slice, align, and scroll on to the next transient. Choosing the split points will become second nature with a little practice. Generally, if a transient is late (i.e., I want to move it back), I'll split the audio right before where I want the transient to end up, and then drag it back. If the transient is early, I'll split right before the transient itself and then move it forward. You'll want to turn "auto-crossfade on split" on as well, so that it crates a crossfade with every split.

I know Adam Wathan used to have a couple of good REAPER slip-editing demos on YouTube, which might be worth checking out.

Awesome, glad to hear it worked out well! Here's how I have my keyboard setup:

ALT+Mousewheel: Scroll horizontally (which is the default action in REAPER, I believe).

Alt+Click: "Slip" item (i.e. move the item withing itself). This should also be default.

ALT+S: Custom action combining three things: "Item: Select item under mouse cursor," "View: Move edit cursor to mouse cursor (no snapping)," and "Item: split items at edit cursor (select right)."

This action allows me to move the mouse exactly where I want to split without worrying about where the edit cursor is, what's currently selected, or whether snapping is enabled. Just move the mouse over it and hit S; split goes right where the mouse cursor was, and the item to the right is selected and ready for moving.

Any tips for finding the bass transient on the di in logic?

I don't use logic, but I have my "T" key set for splitting and play the bass track and tap the T when a transient comes up. The accuracy depends on your timing though.

Kinda like this guy at 1:36

Last edited by a moderator: