A Natural Disaster, the best since Eternity

The Criticism (from my side at least) is well intended.

The artist,in order to be honest with his work,should follow what his life tells him.on the one hand,it can be really sad tho,if this ends up in him composing different music from what he did b4,cos many will b dissapointed.on the other hand,there can be pleasant suprises,musicians experimenting with different stuff(what they feel like doing at a time).You cant condemn an artist if he doesnt play the music YOU like anymore...thats the bitter truth

surely id love anathema to sound like the old stuff,but reality is other than that.still it may be my fave band,but the truth is that ive lost the utmost musical expression of my inner world...

sol83 said:
you like dreaming?
... sure... reality is mostly crap anyway :/
Mariner said:
you like every song? like everything ever made? each bit?
... a bit too excited on that point maybe, but I can't find any special dissapoitment in anathema's work so far. There are of course songs I love at least 10x more than others, but every each one is okay like...

i ment the song from serenades called dreaming: the romance.

*absolutely no understanding today. dunno why*

not shite? maybe if it was 3 minutes instead of 23. com' on raf, be a bit mean dude. just for once. :(

Don Corleone said:
the best song anathema ever recorded is horses

haha what you think about that one, raf?
Napalm Death should do a 5-second grindcore version of it haha.

To add my personal input here. The thread starter ("The Beloved") and I agree on alot in music and disagree on just as much I have learned in my years of chatting with him. We've had many a' debate in the old Anathema chatroom! LOL Anyway, I like A Natural Disaster alot and think it's an excellent piece of music. Another fine chapter in this band's history. As I stated in another thread, I do think "A Natural Disaster" is better then AFDTE. At this point though, I don't know that I would put it above A4 or Judgement, but that's just me. How people relate it to Eternity I don't know. As for the band, I think Anathema has been in music long enough to know, it seems sometimes a band could include free tickets to Heaven (or hell whichever you prefer) in their albums sometimes and ppl would still find a reason to take exception to them. Like "My maker, I am finally going to meet you and by God, the first thing I want to know is not how my life changed the world, but rather, where is the damn old school DOOM on this CD!?" lol Anyway I think "A Natural Disaster" is great and it seems most here like it too, so to the band I hope I speak for many when I say thank you for a great album guys.

rafael said:
I like both Opeth and MDB. I think (so far) that 34%... is their (MDB) best album... and finally I love Anathema!

There's not one song that I don't like.

do you like dog's house??? (imo the ala Guns 'n Roses song) :tickled:

dreaming is not that bad, great to relax and to some yoga :p

In my mind, Anathema will never top Eternity and Alternative 4 (both take a place in my personal top 10 albums ever). It's not for a lack of effort on their part, I love everything they do, but it has more to do with nostalgia on my part. It has to do with my life during that time frame in which they were released. It's the same with CoF and Dusk, My Dying Bride and Like Gods of the Sun, Samael and Passage, The Gathering and Nighttime Birds, Dimmu Borgir and EDT, Arcturus and Aspera, Ulver and Themes, Katatonia and Brave Murder Day, ect. These bands simply cannot top these albums, in my opinion, as I was having such a good time when they were released and these albums are a part of that.

As for My Dying Bride's 34.788...% Complete album, I still find it to be their weakest album. It sounds horribly unfocused, but it would have been interesting to see what they would have done had they continued on that path. However, The Whore, The Cook and the Mother is one of the ultimate songs to listen to while on hallucinogens.

pagan2002 said:
well it doesnt really matter if you think alternative 4 is the best thing since sliced hovis and a natural disaster sucks eggs. whats important is that its honest stuff.

me and john were talking the other day about all the things we could do musically but i bet half of you would totally critisize us for not being 'depressive' or 'losing our roots'

i ask you this.

is it my life or yours?

i suggest if you can write better songs than me then get cracking and you'll be supporting the mighty opeth before you know it.

that doesn' go for mehdi and dunc who actually can but wouldnt particularly want to support opeth anyway.
Can we be Opeth athletic supporters? Or maybe just any piece of undergarment?

opeththong.jpg