A noobie question about tracking and impulses

Arkasiana

Sep 6, 2007
Hey all,

Well, I have two little questions to ask.
First one is about recording DI before reamping. I have read a lot of threads which says to do quadruple guitar tracks. When it says that, do it means that I must have 4 differents DI tracks in the end? Or two tracks duplicated?

Second is about impulses. When you use an impulsion (like the Guitar Hack's impulses), you don't use the amp cab. But how do you record the sound of the head only and without burn it out? I have a Krank Rev.

Thanks

Ok, I'll do this for the rec.

However, I tested recording from the line out of my Krank, with an impulsion, and i'm not convinced. It's not terrifc, there is too much fizz. Maybe with a hoteplate, i'll have something different...

Anyway, thanks for answer me so quickly.

Well the important thing with impulses is that in the plugin you set the "Mix" to 100% wet, so you don't hear any of the original sound. Also, the hot plate serves only as a dummy load, meaning a place for the power of the amp to go, because tube amps always need to be plugged into a cab or attenuator (such as the hot plate) or else they can get damaged. So basically, the idea is to have your amp connected either to a cab or attenuator, as well as plugging the output of the line out (which I assume is only the preamp signal) into your soundcard and applying the impulse to it at a 100% wet mix.

The Rev's Effect Send and Line out aren't the most suited to using Impulses. The Effect Send level is so Low that the Master has to be up at nearly Maximum to get a level that is useable to apply an Impulse to. I have also tried the Line out of the Hotplate and using Impulses later with less than great results. The Double Poweramp use (used once whan making the Impulse and used again if using the Hotplate Line out) seems to make it sound weird (probably since it is the exact same poweramp being used twice). I have yet to try the 6505 with Impulses (I have made plenty of Impulses using it's poweramp but haven't recorded the RAW preamp out), many here get it to work with some nice results.

YMMV

Ok thanks to you all.

I made some tests, and I don't like the sound anymore. So I think I'll stay on the mic records.

Despite that, Does anybody could record a guitars tracks (L and R) without impulse from the 6505? So I'll can make some tests.