A Philosophical Musical Question

infoterror said:
I don't know, but it's so stagnant now that no new fans of note are coming in and staying.

It can resurrect itself, IF these idiots die out of the genre.

EUGENICS NOW

Interesting. So are you claiming youthful metalheads are not as committed as their forebearers to the metal genre? I see alot of young people on this site. I'm starting to feel pretty old in my mid-twenties.

Compare metal to punk to disco for a minute here. All originate at a time when rock music has stagnated in the late 70s. Each seems to have a short lifespan of a few years, stagnates, then becomes something new. Heavy metal->Thrash, Punk->Hardcore, Disco->House music. Then if this new form will stagnate eventually, and will either have a rebirth or not. Hardcore, no. House music, I don't know anything about. I'm assuming not. Instead we get bastardized versions or the orginal, which explains pop of the '80s and pop-punk. Metal had enough possibilities to go through DM and BM, and maybe that's it. We've already had several bastardized versions of metal, from hair and glam, to nu-metal, and to a somewhat lesser extent norsecore and metalcore.

Basically there's no further extreme for a genre which has a relied on extremity for expression. There's already been a Nattens Madrigal and Transilvanian Hunger. Vocals can't get anymore extreme, guitars can't get any more distorted. Now the only extremities are speed and technicality, in which the limits have basically been reached within the last few years, with bands like Origin, Gorguts, Necrophagist, etc. Look at what Blut Aus Nord did after they reached the limit of what they thought they could do with metal?

MasterOLightning said:
Compare metal to punk to disco for a minute here. All originate at a time when rock music has stagnated in the late 70s. Each seems to have a short lifespan of a few years, stagnates, then becomes something new. Heavy metal->Thrash, Punk->Hardcore, Disco->House music. Then if this new form will stagnate eventually, and will either have a rebirth or not. Hardcore, no. House music, I don't know anything about. I'm assuming not. Instead we get bastardized versions or the orginal, which explains pop of the '80s and pop-punk. Metal had enough possibilities to go through DM and BM, and maybe that's it. We've already had several bastardized versions of metal, from hair and glam, to nu-metal, and to a somewhat lesser extent norsecore and metalcore.

Basically there's no further extreme for a genre which has a relied on extremity for expression. There's already been a Nattens Madrigal and Transilvanian Hunger. Vocals can't get anymore extreme, guitars can't get any more distorted. Now the only extremities are speed and technicality, in which the limits have basically been reached within the last few years, with bands like Origin, Gorguts, Necrophagist, etc. Look at what Blut Aus Nord did after they reached the limit of what they thought they could do with metal?

There is also ultra-slowness and distortion like Om, Sunn 0))), or even Skepticism style bands, which in the last four or five years has been a new avenue for metal. And, I think Isis and Neurosis style music, is so open ended and expansive, that there is no immediate end in sight for it either.

You're right. I remembered the slow extremes this morning.

I'm a huge fan of Isis. That kind of music is so good because there's so little room for technicality that songwriting becomes what makes the music. This style also has plenty of room for varied emotions.

MasterOLightning said:
You're right. I remembered the slow extremes this morning.

I'm a huge fan of Isis. That kind of music is so good because there's so little room for technicality that songwriting becomes what makes the music. This style also has plenty of room for varied emotions.

They (Isis) have been my favorite band for sometime now. And I totally agree with your description.

speed said:
I quickly came to the conclusion that apart from the innovative doom/stoner genre, and a few interesting black metal bands, that metal as a genre, is dead.

I don't think external form is what's important; content is.

And by that measurement, metal is dead, no matter how many bells and whistles it has.

No art exists in a vacuum. Metal died because it started caring about pleasing the crowd, and the truth is never marketable, thus truthful thoughts and the artistic experience that go with them are taboo.

When that changes, metal becomes undead.