What Bands/Songs Are Philosophical?

Anyway, Nick Cave is my favorite lyricist, and Nevermore my favorite metal lyricists.

Nick Cave comes off so honest in a lot of his lyrics, especially in The Boatman's Call. That album is one of my favorite albums ever.

Nick Cave comes off so honest in a lot of his lyrics, especially in The Boatman's Call. That album is one of my favorite albums ever.

I agree, there's this visceral honesty and world view in his (Nick Cave's) lyrics. A world view and individual language expressed through lyrics thats entirely his own, and yet one he seems unsure of himself. Kind of like the ironism that Rorty (who just died) postulated about. Sorry, Im bringing up Rorty because he's suddenly on my mind.

I've been wondering about the impact of metal lyrics since I posted this thread. Honestly, apart from early Slayer (a band that recently penned some of the worst and most ridiculous lyrics I've ever come across with that Christ Illusion album), I really havent a clue about metal lyrics, nor care about the lyrics as generally I cant understand them as they're being sung. Moreover, I dont think most metal bands give a damn about their lyrics. Metal is about musicianship and composition more than anything else. The lyrics, like many metal band's bass players, are pushed to the back and drowned out by pummelling drums or blistering lead guitars.

Anyway, Nick Cave is my favorite lyricist, and Nevermore my favorite metal lyricists.

You just aren't listening to the "right" Metal, Speed. I don't know how philosophically sound they all are(if such a condition really exists), but plenty of Black and Death Metal bands have fairly well thought-out, creative or even occasionally rather profound lyrics. I'm just too busy...and lazy to pore over my CD collection for all the lyrics, but off the top of my head bands like Arsis, Merrimack, Deathspell Omega, Zyklon, Averse Sefira, or Watain come quickly to mind.
I do like Nevermore also...a little too emotionally humanitarian for me at times - but well written and sensible compared to many.

When it comes to Philosophy, Vedic Metal is pretty deep. Being a follower of the religion myself, I find that some bands do manage to capture the essence of the teachings, although with minor inaccuracies.

1) Rudra - Meditations on the Mahavakya. [Vedic Death Metal]

Meditation on the axiom that Shvetaketu received from his father
It destroys the life of becoming someone other than what you are
The preceptor of nobility wields the garland of words from the Veda
Stringed with the right method, to reveal the Lord that you already are

The destruction of preconceived notions is possible but only with a purified mind
You listen, then you contemplate and free yourself from the delusion
By seeing that 'That' and 'thou' are indeed one since the dawn of time

Through this axiom the self is realised
Through this realisation you gain Immortality
Through this attainment you'll realise that you are everything
Sarvam Khalvidam Brahma

This is Brahman
Thou are Brahman
All is Brahman
That Thou Art

Ekam Eva Adivitiyam.

2) Aryadeva - Invading Horde of Bhagavan. [Vedic Symphonic Black Metal]

Pagan warriors on their mighty horses,
Thundering through the ages of Kali Yuga,
Behold the age of destruction,
They are here to eradicate and devastate;

Upholding the banner of Ancient Horde,
Watch the battle of Armageddon,
The adversaries of God pounds and strikes,
Let the carnage begin;

Blessed by the mallet of Lord Indra,
Their souls are engulfed in fury,
Flames burn in their vigilant eyes,
Galloping through the battlefield,
Eradicating and destroying,
Cleansing nature’s ground,
With the blood of holy bastards;

(solo)

Watch the forces of God slaughtered,
Blinding light that deceived many people,
Failed to blind their raging eyes,
They had mastered the timeless wisdom,
Eradicating and destroying,
Cleansing nature’s ground,
With the blood of holy bastards;

(chanting)
Om, ag ne, na ya, su pa thaa, raa ye;
As maan, vish vaa ni, dev, va yu naa ni, vid vaan;
Yu, yo, dhya smaj, ju hu raan, me no;
Bhoo yi sh thaam, te, na ma, uk tim, vi dhe ma;

(translation)
Oh Fire God (Lord Agni)! Teach us to rise up,
fill us with luminosity, make us energetic;
provide us the strength to be like you and make others alike,
we may also, like you, spread fragrance and luminosity;

By the grace of Lord Varuna,
They'll assault like deadly hurricane,
Sending bodies flying to the air,
Sparing not a single soul;

By the inferno-blaze of Lord Agni,
They'll incerinate their way through victory,
Like forest blazed in firestorm,
They turn those against them to ashes;

(solo)

Strength! - They will annihilate God's sheep,
Glory! - Pagan pride,
Lordship! - (they are the) descendants of the Aryans,

Invading Horde of Bhagavan!!!

Wealth! - Their thirst for desires relinquished,
Wisdom! - ultimate truth!
Dispassion! - They shall not have any attachment,

----

Note that 'Aryan' here refers to no twisted explanation of a 'superior' race. The word has existed in Sanskrit texts and Vedas long before Hitler corrupted it and basically means, 'Noble', i.e., anyone who follows a life of morality and virtue without indulging in immorality is an Aryan. In fact, the band themselves have pointed out that they are not NSBM.

You just aren't listening to the "right" Metal, Speed. I don't know how philosophically sound they all are(if such a condition really exists), but plenty of Black and Death Metal bands have fairly well thought-out, creative or even occasionally rather profound lyrics. I'm just too busy...and lazy to pore over my CD collection for all the lyrics, but off the top of my head bands like Arsis, Merrimack, Deathspell Omega, Zyklon, Averse Sefira, or Watain come quickly to mind.
I do like Nevermore also...a little too emotionally humanitarian for me at times - but well written and sensible compared to many.

Oh no, I know alot of the black metal bands especially have very philosophical lyrics, but I cannot understand them as they are sung.

Nevermore can be a bit obvious at times. But I like Warrel Dane's dogma-free philosophy.

:kickass:

It's interesting that I came across this post. I joined this forum to try and find more info on this really amazing band I just saw the other night, and now I get a chance to promote them.

The band is Project Arsenal, They're from ft. lauderdale. Their whole idea is to mix like philosophy/politics and metal. I wish I could post some lyrics but they haven't put any on their myspace and they don't have a webpage yet (I don't wanna misquote them), I guess they're pretty new but they are INSANE live.

coincidentally, if anyone has info on these guys (especially if you know of a CD they put out or anything) lemme know. I messaged them on myspace but I haven't gotten a response yet. If i get a hold of some lyrics, I'll post them.

Oh no, I know alot of the black metal bands especially have very philosophical lyrics, but I cannot understand them as they are sung.

Nevermore can be a bit obvious at times. But I like Warrel Dane's dogma-free philosophy.

I'm the same regarding some of the metal lyrics, I cant understand them through the growling type vocals.I'm sure lots of them are philosophical and even poetic but its hard to decipher them as theyre sung.

Think of it like the aural equivalent of Heidegger...you know it is somehow profound...but goddamnit if it makes any sense as immediately presented :heh:

BURZUM of course...

p.s S.O.A.D lyrics are more comercial than philosophical,I think so;)

Crass...

Throughout history societies have condemned those who are later celebrated as heroes,
In so many bourgeois homes Van Gogh's sunflowers radiate from the walls,
Yet he lived in utter misery, condemned by those very same people.
Why is it that the kind and gentle are subjected to violence and riducule?
How is it that the small and mealy-minded have gained so much power?
What perversion has taken place that we are governed by fools?

i guess Death lyrics in Symbolic and Individual Though Patterns
but there are also other bands that go through the same issues but they reach more 2 the dark side and satan, etc...

Yes, Chuck's lyrics were most poignant as he struggled with the fatal plague (AIDS) that would kill him. Poor Chuck... kids, wear condoms during those late night death metal group anal sessions.