a potentially dumb question

slayer666metalica

Kvlt M3t4l 4 Lyfe
Nov 20, 2009
okay,

well, i've searched about this multiple times via google and found nothing really relating specifically to my question,

but i'm very curious as to what would happen in the situation i'm about to describe.

Lately i've been doing some DI tracks, just two per side.... L/R, right?

well, i read an article on reamping a while back that said "the advantage here is multiple amps/rig setups, but just one performance."

do they LITERALLY mean one performance?

For example: Let's say i've got a left and right mix of guitars, but then i decide i want to quad track to beef up the whole mix. I would imagine that you Cannot use those same di's and mic up a completely different rig to add two more tracks? At least, according to what i've read on here, you can't because of phasing issues ? Or would the different mic placement/rig setup take away from phasing issues? As far as i understand; it's one performance per track.

Hopefully somebody can clear this up, and provide some insight...

haha, it's no big deal if phasing occurs... I'm just wondering about whether i'm wasting my time nailing down to more tracks if it's really not needed and this practice is considered to be okay... ?

TIA:headbang:

Awesome. Thank you for clearing that up, i think the article i was reading was very wordy... haha might have taken it two different ways... /,,/

do they LITERALLY mean one performance?

no, what they mean is that you can take a single DI track and run it through different amp/cab/mic combos

i like to have one performance for each side, and run each of those thru 2 different amps and blend to taste, rather than having 4 different takes

I believe what they meant in the article is that you could do one take and then run it through different rigs to get a tone. You'd still need to do one take per side, but they're saying that you have the option of sending a take through different rigs whereas you may normally have to record with one rig, then completely record with the different rig.

What they're talking about would be similar to the Pod Farm or PodX3's or whatever that let you use two amps at the same time.

Definitely double take or do separate takes for left and right. Sending a DI to two different amps is an option, but isn't the same thing as quad tracking.

If you only did one take total, and put one amp left and one right, it'll sound like a centered guitar with weird phase stuff happening on the sides and all over.