a question about deciphering lyrics

AALLGOD

Lurker #1
Apr 25, 2004
Cleveland, Ohio
DT has some really deep lyrics to them in certain songs. i have trouble figuring out the meaning of some of these songs.

while there could be multiple meanings to the songs, i would like to know people's take on the song "Static". i am interested to hear thoughts on it.

i'm all in favour of people replying to this topic with their own ideas. there's too little discussion of the sort on this forum.

but even if they don't, aallgod, stay tuned on the official dt website, 'cause by the time the new album is out, you'll find some very interesting lyrics-related news...

before realising aallgod is a nick, i thought it was another one of your inner fargod jokes.. now you can feign laughter if you want.

back on topic, i'd like to hear some views on Static too, i haven't really had time or will to ponder on it myself..

i'd like to hear an interpretation of ALL lyrics, i have my own but i hardly think "it was solid, yet everchanging, oh it was different, and yet the same" actually refers to someone's penis as i've always thought

Violet Baudelaire said:
i'd like to hear an interpretation of ALL lyrics,
if you stick around and give me time, you will. offerings in cash or pineapples are also welcome. :p

i have my own but i hardly think "it was solid, yet everchanging, oh it was different, and yet the same" actually refers to someone's penis as i've always thought
thank you for making me cry like a baby whose giraffe-shaped, strawberry-scented toy has just been stolen by a gang of thugs disguised as his own mother who died in a car crash. :(

Violet Baudelaire said:
i'd like to hear an interpretation of ALL lyrics, i have my own but i hardly think "it was solid, yet everchanging, oh it was different, and yet the same" actually refers to someone's penis as i've always thought
could never tell if your touch was deeper than skin :erk:

:lol:

At least that line metal17 posted does symbol something along those lines (to me), even if Mikael maybe wasn't thinking of penises while writing the lyrics.
Interesting thought, nevertheless.

What?

Violet Baudelaire said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
oh, i just saw this... i'm tempted to try and interpret the rest of the song in this key but rahvin would probably kill me and then commit suicide if i did...

rahvin said:
if you stick around and give me time, you will.
just like I would when I had just joined and asked for the same thing? :hotjump:

(not complainginf, just being a bit sceptical)

Delirious said:
just like I would when I had just joined and asked for the same thing? :hotjump:

(not complainginf, just being a bit sceptical)
look at it on the bright side: you're still here having fun. ;)

anyway, no reason to be sceptical: like hyena and i would put it, it's gonna happen.

You could maybe put some temporary lyrics on the site though, for the time being until you finalize deciphering those (if it's still gonna happen along with those interpretations)? Not that I can't get the lyrics from elsewhere, but for example the lyrics for Shadow Duet are fucked up at darklyrics...and alas, I've been a bit lazy with buying DT albums for a while.

yes, it's more of a technical matter than anything else, but it's gonna be solved soon, and the lyrics - if not a million interpretations - will indeed be up in their unabridged version before very long.

Have any of you wondered it could mostly be feelings and emotions expressed into style and figures?

Things that don't get a translation *like that*

In my opinion it's just fun to try and guess what is behind the strongly figurative lyrics, but what lyrics are mostly holding to is an invisible link between the context and the words expressed. This invisible link may also be invisible to the writer, as invisible as the links between a man's history and his emotions, often hidden to the bearer himself.
It is certainly clearer to the writer than to anyone else, that's why some authors "under-title" their songs, (like for paintings that have no sense without the undertitle) or tell more about the context when announcing the next song during live show.

So these "links" I was talking about are the key, and are intimate to the writer. Without them, it'd just be guessy games.

Violet Baudelaire said:
i have my own but i hardly think "it was solid, yet everchanging, oh it was different, and yet the same" actually refers to someone's penis as i've always thought
HAh..thanks for spoiling the song ;)
yet when i think of it, you could be right. i've never understood where ThereIn is about anyways

Hey guys. I hardly ever come to this forum, but I was bored and thought I'd see whats going on. Anyway, a while back I interpreted The Gallery, and I'd like to know what you think of it:

Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery

I believe this song to be sort of a battle with the mind against writers block, or anything that supresses the mind from being creative. The Gallery is the creative part of his mind, and his paintings are metaphors for his creations. (I can't really explain myself better, but I think you'll understand once you check it out).

Come and dance through my vanity's halls
Welcome to my exhibition

Here the writer/artist starts to create something, or at least trys to start, so he goes into his minds "halls", searching for inspiration in the "exhibition".

Ornaments fall
The fate of my art, condemned
And the creative seed
That grows to the tune of the harvest song
Embody my lifelong passion
Intertwine with the structures of my art
Those empty frames staring at me

Now, he realizes that "the frames are empty" and that something is wrong with his Gallery (the creative part of his mind). There is chaos in his Gallery, as the ornaments fall and his art is ruined, and something is wrong with his creativity (seed).

One lonely portrait covers the lovestarved canvas
In honour of the birthless rebellion within me

The only thing left of his Gallery, is a protrait. I think that he is sort of the yearning for creation, so he created a portrait (something that takes skill, yet isn't too creative. It just mirrors real life).

Every picture holds a tale
Every shade tells of a thousand words

Well, this part is pretty self explanitory. It shows the worth of those pictures that he is missing. With each picture that his Gallery is missing, he could create "a thousand words".

The artistry of living chaos
Is pictured in the poets tears
Because everything burns
The final concept
Is all but a thought away

Now, the poet starts to despair and just creating chaos. Meaning, nothing in particular, just chaos. The last two lines show that he can feel that he is capable of creating beauty, and that it is close, but still he is unable.
Be gone, you foul enchantress of decay!
My thoughts and words will come to right
In my chamber where chaos conveys
Kneel down to my desire

Now, the artist is fighting that "foul enchantress" (who can be thought of as writers block, or something of the sort) who is responsible for his inability to create. In other words, he is forcing himself to create - "kneel down..."
He is making "thoughts and words" out of the chaos that was in his Gallery - he is creating beauty.

Deep in the vaults of my carnal agony
Emptiness! Orchestration through colours

Here, through agony, his is creating. Where he says the colors part, he means he is painting, and filling up his Gallery. However, I am having trouble with the Emptiness part. I just think that he means where once was emptiness, now stand his paintings - his creations.

The gallery

To never return to my guidance
Burning my art

Now, he is finished. His works are no longer his own, since he set them out to the world. Now, after all his pain, the works that he created are out of his hands, and now its is up to the world to do with them what it pleases. I think that the last sentence "Burning my art", means that he doesn't get appreciation for his works or the pain he put into making them.

I was really impressed by what is written above by Frosties. I have had similar thoughts but but I have never went so far with my thoughts. Even if that isn't "right" (is there something called right?) conclusion, it is still really cool and fine interpretation..