A Question About Music Theory

Both schools of thought can be impressive for different reasons. Some musicians have a good ear. They know what they want to hear and what they want their tune to sound like. They may not know any theory but they know what it takes to make their song sound good. That's impressive (at least to me).

I also am impressed with musicians taking the time to learn the academics relating to music and applying those concepts to their writing. Again impressive.

I think having a good balance of both is best, that's what I try to do. Either can be limiting if used exclusively.
(my .02)

I have a feeling most people here don't have a clue what theory is. Especially Blink182 boy.

It is great to learn theory, but when it comes to writing your own shit and you are more occupied with theory than the material, that fucking blows, me I know a moderate amount, but when I sit down to play I could hardly give a shit, I don't play for theory, I play for my own benifit, it is my damned release, and when I do write it mostly has to do with my emotions, it just so happens that I am usually fucking pissed. Anyways, for me it comes down to shred and melody/harmonization.