Theory Question

IntoObscurity

Sep 20, 2002
Connecticut, USA
Visit site
I'm hoping there will be at least one person who can reccomend something good for me here. A lot of the music I listen to (Opeth, Dream Theater,Steve Vai, etc) is theory intensive, however I have basically zero knowledge of theory beyond some scales and modes and basics. I don't have time for lessons, so I really need a good book for teaching basic to advanced music theory. I asked this same question on the John Petrucci forum, and a couple posters, as well as JP himself, reccomend A Modern Method for the Guitar by William Leavitt(sp?), but anyways. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I never looked at that book, but I know a lot of people have used it. Its not essential, its good for jazz technique, but in terms of theory theres better places to go. Many schools (including Berklee) use a textbook called Tonal Harmony, although I'm told that it is a subpar book compared to others. I'll ask my friend whos big on classical theory what some good books are. I know one is the Harvard Dictionary of Music, although it doesnt read like a textbook on theory, if you have any questions about any kind of theory-related subject its a good place to look.